Surge XT

Hi

Yes if you have an old XT nightly it won’t work with 2.2. Grab the newest and it will. Install like any other plugin.

I had hoped we would be in the library by now but we aren’t, so you get to get the 2.1 beta rather than the 2.0 release :slight_smile:

5 Likes

TYVM!

1 Like

Just copy that file to the Rack plugins folder and Rack will handle it.

1 Like

It is unlikely you want the arm version either, even if you are on an arm mac.

On macOS install VCV Rack Free and run it and you will get a directory called ~/Documents/Rack2/ which contains a directory called plugins. Download the non-arm version, put it in the plugins folder, and restart rack.

2 Likes

this worked! Thank you!!!

Hey everyone

We are in the library! [EDIT: on macOS too! The day one library problem is solved; just download again if you are stuck on a mac]

go there, click “subscribe” in the upper corner, and voila, you will get the official 2.0.3 release

If you have downloaded a 2.1 beta you may need to remove it to get the update (just go to Documents/Rack2/plugins and remove the “SurgeXTRack” directory - dont worry there’s no user data there).

A few extra thanks

• Thanks to @cschol and @qno for helping with getting running in the 2.2.0 SDK and to @pgatt for all the support. Surge isn’t exactly easy to build; rack isn’t exactly a regular environment; and we had some last minute shenanigans. But now I also know more about docker!

• Thanks to everyone here who tested and gave feedback. There are literally 10s of critical bugs which were in the software the day Omni’s video came out and aren’t there today. You can page up, but you know who you are. The quality of feedback shows how powerful and collaborative this community can be.

• Of course thanks to all the surge team folks over in surge discord. There’s another whole community of surge and rack folks which is pretty disjoint from this one.

• Thanks of course to Claes at Bitwig, who rather than abandoning surge in 2018 threw it up on GitHub with a bit of “try-this-out-and-see-what-happens” attitude. It went well!

• And finally thanks to Andrew for making Rack. Shipping software is hard, and he’s made this thing which we all use and enjoy. I know he doesn’t read this forum, and I know many of us have our ups and downs with each other (heck, he and I had a moment just 3 hours ago! but we got past it), but Rack is cool.

This is the last post we will make in this thread. If you wanna follow along with the 2.1 action we have a dev thread Surge XT 2.1 testing and feedback thread - #18 by cornucopia and one of us will open a new announce when that ships.

And have fun making music with surge! We can’t wait to hear what you’ll do with it.

37 Likes

Congratulations, and awesome job, everyone! This feels like the Golden Age of VCV Rack.

3 Likes

Sigh. The library version doesn’t work on macOS

If you are a mac user for now you will still have to download our build from here

3 Likes

Still using the beta every time it’s push out…

That’s cool and we make them available so you can, but the beta could get a bit rocky in the new modules once I start doing the new dev in earnest; and the 2.0.3.0 in the library and linked above is nice and stable.

Amazing. Thank you all for making such a big addition to VCV!

Yeah, great! Thx!

Thanks for all the hard work guys, it’s a fantastic plugin! I’m sure the Mac issue will get solved soon and it’s great we can just download a working Mac release.

4 Likes

Yeah we know what the mac prblem is now thanks to cshcol pgatt and me looking at it, and also thanks to frantic googling and a bit of nice bourbon. Lol.

We have a test build in an updated toolchain which works so there’s just mechanics to get that to the library. It’s a when not if thing at this point. I’ll update here when it’s ready but until then use the production release from GitHub above on macos

4 Likes

Yay :slight_smile: [EDIT: Boo :frowning: ]

2 Likes

OK great, the toolchain is updated, macOS version is rebuilt (thanks @cshol and @pgatt and vortico).

If you are a macOS user and restart your rack session, redownload from the library, then restart again, you should be all set with 2.0.3.0. (If not, try blowing away your plugins/SurgeXTRack directory first).

And now this is the last post on this thread. Have fun making music with surge everyone!

16 Likes

I bought the original Surge back in 2010. During this time i leave the world of hardware because of the possiblities of the computermusic and it is really nice to see how Surge has developed. Great work!

1 Like

What a great collection! Thanks so much for this. I love the oscillator drift option in the VCO’s: that’s just great. Bipolar modulation works very intuitive. I’m just scratching the surface here, but this is my first patch with Surge XT: https://youtu.be/qMEEEsSWXX4. So much more to explore.

5 Likes

This sounds really nice!

1 Like

Thanks! Really like the Surge collection. I’ve made a new patch with drums, percussion, bass etc with Surge modules. And still: there’s a lot more to explore in this collection, but the vco’s are rapidly becoming my go-to’s for a new patch. https://youtu.be/tpD2w0b_LhM

4 Likes