Surge XT 2.2 - Want to help Beta Test?

Thanks, not sure why I thought that was poly already but will test again tomorrow. I’m going ro make a video on this too, so far I’ve only made a thumbnail and recorded some acoustic guitar plus a few bits using vox samples and of course Rings. There’s a law on combining Rings and Clouds isn’t there? :smiley: Now we need polyphonic Rings too!

Cheers.

Well it was poly as in it froze all the poly instances but not uniquely poly so depending on your gates would have sort of worked - look forward to listening!

So far the Surge Nimbus is my favorite port of Clouds, the knobs relabel for each algo and the Surge mod system really rocks for modulation of Clouds. I’m getting much more favorable results in my patches with Nimbus than with Supercell ( which seems faulty or poorly labeled) or Texture Synthesizer ( which is harder to decipher because of labeling ). Thanks very much for this port. Totally revived my interest in Clouds. Bonsai is super fun as well, a well made drive/ distortion tool with its own special character. Mixer with faders is great, can see what you have already done at a glance.

A few of your modules have been indispensable for myself, namely Waveshaper, Filter, Distortion, Delay, Wavetable VCO, Quad LFO.

Thank you so much for the fine synths.

5 Likes

If you like the wave shaper, let me encourage you to try the new digital signal combination module

it is at its most basic just the digital ring modulator (output = a * b) but the wide variety of functional forms combined with the oversampling let you create all sorts of textures and growls, especially with detuned signals.

oh and of course, thank you for the kind words!

2 Likes

For those reading along at home: I’ve been in touch with the superparasites/supercell team and they are happy for us to integrate their integrated model version into surge. I took a look at what it takes and it seems like a pretty solid day of work but not more.

We’ve feature frozen the Plugin and Rack now so XT 2.2 Nimbus will have the four classic clouds modes only, but it looks like integrating the supercell clouds may be easier than the plaits ones, so stay tuned.

Thanks for all the feedback here also. Very useful. Unless someone screams with a terrible bug in the next few days, we plan on releasing the Plugin 1.3 on Friday and will submit XTRack (and Airwindows) to the library then.

19 Likes

Just to echo what @cubistguitar says, huge thanks to Paul and the rest of the Surge team. Nimbus is like Clouds on steroids! I’ve been a terrible beta tester, haven’t even looked at the rest of the modules yet but Unison looks great too. I’m terrible at making tutorials and keep screwing up the voice-over, so that’s in progress but in the meant time here’s a taste of poly Clouds using (…of course) Rings. You have to use Rings with Clouds, right?

7 Likes

Hi!

We released the 1.3.0 version of the plugin this morning (grab it as always at https://surge-synthesizer.github.io/) and I submitted 2.2.0.0 for rack to the library, so it should be in your rack soon enough.

Thanks for all the testing and feedback and patches shared here!

10 Likes

Hi Paul, the CXOR module only crashes rack for me every time I try to send it input. Was trying to feed it an LFO and mod with another but never got the first cable connected. WIn 10 Rack Pro 2

1 Like

oooh lemme poke maybe 2.2.1 will be the first release :slight_smile:

hmm ok works fine here on my mac

can you attach your crash log?

and just a regular mono LFO right?

Also any other win10 users testing would appreciate a check!

Intel Mac running Sonoma 14.1.2 here instead of win10, but I have what I presume is the same immediate crash when I try to connect a cable to any CXOR input.

Maybe it’s an Intel x64 problem?

Relevant tail end of crash log:

[21.111 fatal adapters/standalone.cpp:49 fatalSignalHandler] Fatal signal 11. Stack trace:
13: Rack(fatalSignalHandler(int)+27)
12: libsystem_platform.dylib(_sigtramp+29)
11: ???(0x0+0)
10: libRack.dylib(rack::engine::Module::doProcess(rack::engine::Module::ProcessArgs const&)+143)
9: libRack.dylib(rack::engine::Engine::stepBlock(int)+1699)
8: libRack.dylib(rack::audio::Device::processBuffer(float const*, int, float*, int, int)+325)
7: libRack.dylib(rack::RtAudioDevice::rtAudioCallback(void*, void*, unsigned int, double, unsigned int, void*)+143)
6: libRack.dylib(RtApiCore::callbackEvent(unsigned int, AudioBufferList const*, AudioBufferList const*)+335)
5: libRack.dylib(callbackHandler(unsigned int, AudioTimeStamp const*, AudioBufferList const*, AudioTimeStamp const*, AudioBufferList*, AudioTimeStamp const*, void*)+21)
4: CoreAudio(HALC_ProxyIOContext::IOWorkLoop()+10246)
3: CoreAudio(invocation function for block in HALC_ProxyIOContext::HALC_ProxyIOContext(unsigned int, unsigned int)+73)
2: CoreAudio(HALC_IOThread::Entry(void*)+72)
1: libsystem_pthread.dylib(_pthread_start+99)
0: libsystem_pthread.dylib(thread_start+15)

Crashes on linux too:

[9.226 info src/app/Browser.cpp:93 chooseModel] Creating module widget Surge XT Digital RingModulators and Combinators
[15.015 info src/patch.cpp:254 saveAutosave] Saving autosave /home/ewen/.Rack2/autosave/patch.json
[15.021 info src/settings.cpp:498 save] Saving settings /home/ewen/.Rack2/settings.json
[15.319 fatal adapters/standalone.cpp:49 fatalSignalHandler] Fatal signal 11. Stack trace:
14: ./Rack() [0x4043ed]
13: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x3c460)
12: /home/ewen/.Rack2/plugins-lin-x64/SurgeXTRack/plugin.so(+0x13283e)
11: /home/ewen/.Rack2/plugins-lin-x64/SurgeXTRack/plugin.so(+0x137c62)
10: ./libRack.so(rack::engine::Module::doProcess(rack::engine::Module::ProcessArgs const&)+0x9dc)
9: ./libRack.so(rack::engine::Engine::stepBlock(int)+0x779)
8: ./libRack.so(rack::audio::Device::processBuffer(float const*, int, float*, int, int)+0x183)
7: ./libRack.so(rack::RtAudioDevice::rtAudioCallback(void*, void*, unsigned int, double, unsigned int, void*)+0xa3)
6: ./libRack.so(+0x7b0a55)
5: ./libRack.so(+0x7b0d81)
4: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/pipewire-0.3/jack/libjack.so.0(+0x164b6)
3: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/spa-0.2/support/libspa-support.so(+0x88de)
2: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpipewire-0.3.so.0(+0x43d46)
1: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x8f6ba)
0: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6(+0x11e120)

OK! I’ll try and boot linux or win tonight to try

Crashes in win/lin and not on arm is almost always uninitialized memory but i don’t see it from staring at the code.

Thanks folks!

1 Like

OK in good news, I can get the crash in linux!

will be able to fix it today I’m sure

Thank you. That’s a “just in time” bug report. I paused the engines at library-central and will get a 2.2.1 together.

6 Likes

Merge Vital and Surge…Monster combo

Vital rendering technology can compete with paid software

Its just a suggestion that I think since a long time

Was Ctrl-R always randomizing the VCO drift?

(Just curious. I don’t remember ever realizing it before.)

Yes but I should make it so it doesn’t randomize the level at least. That is very distracting. I can also knock drift out of rand. (I have to make a change for the CXOR anyway so let me do that while in there)

1 Like

Oh the new nightly with the ring mod fix is up. Works for me on Linux

Turns out the half rate filter had a crash at block size 4 which simde masked on arm bit which proper sse didn’t like. So I had to move to latency 8 for now for the module

If someone can Give it a whirl I’ll pack it up as 2.2.1.0 and submit to library

Thanks!

It works here now on Intel Mac :+1:

Thanks for the quick work!

1 Like