Suggestion: Per-module default templates

Sorry if this isn’t where Rack suggestions should go, it just seemed like the most relevant forum.

I notice a lot, in patch-from-scratch videos and in my own workflow, artists having to “initialize” modules to their own preferences every time they import them. Especially envelopes! FM-OP, Slap… For those who love snappy sounds, always having to drag the attack and sustain down gets a bit laborious.

I know about the Preset feature in the context menu, but I think it’d be awesome to be able to set per-module templates, similar to the (also awesome) patch template feature.

Also the brilliant STRIP module from stoermelder could solve this, but that’s about the same amount of effort as loading a preset.

1 Like

It’s coming in 2.0!

6 Likes

Welcome neithweave, as Aria said this will be implemented in v2. For future reference feature requests and bug reports for VCV Rack should be submitted to GitHub.

Keep an eye on the dev blog and social media for other features:

1 Like

It’s possible now to have per module templates with MyLittleFavorites module from MyLittleTools

@VCVRackIdeas discusses how he uses it in his production template YouTube-link

3 Likes

Aha, good to hear! Thank you, Aria.

@Coirt My bad, I’ll go there in the future.

@bp.dtmr I think I remember learning about the Favorites module but at the time it wasn’t in v1 so I couldn’t really be bothered. Thanks for letting me know!

Is there any documentation of this feature for VCV 2? I’m trying to save a default preset for a module, but it doesn’t seem to load with it, I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong.

I can manually load my default by going to the right-click menu and preset->open, but it doesn’t auto-load when I place the module.

Right click the module > Preset > Save default.

From then on, any time you insert that module to your Rack it will have those settings.

4 Likes

Huh, that’s what I tried and it wasn’t working for me last night. Can anybody on macOS confirm that it’s working for them on the most recent Rack?

Thanks for the response!

Works here on Mac in the latest version. What module are you trying to save a default of?

It doesn’t seem to work with any modules for me, am I doing something wrong? Here’s a video:

This is hosted on dropbox, so if it’s blurry you can download the 20mb original.

Basically I set a Fundamentals VCO with knobs altered, save that as the default, then load another VCO and it does not reflect the new default settings.

Hi Dan, not sure. I just tested the VCO here and it worked. Could you please email support at vcvrack.com with this issue?

1 Like

Great, thanks so much @pgatt, that’s super helpful!

For any future readers, the problem is solved. It was Stoermelder’s MB, which is experimental and I had just used for so many years I’d forgotten about it. It prevented the saved default from initializing the module.

2 Likes