Stupid Chords + Quantizer tricks

So you get a root note? Great. send that to a quantizer plus the output of a random voltage generator.

The quantizer makes sure that it follows the current scale, but the random voltage means it’s never the same 4 notes twice, but they still add up harmonically.

Oh and load the VCV CHORDS preset “All Chords” and advance through the chords for each note.

I like how it sounds but it’s nearly impossible to trace which part of the resulting chord comes from where.

A big part of what I do when I work on a patch is to find as many ways to inject randomness and still end up with something that sounds cool, not random. Part of it is just tailoring the base sequences so they fit together. Hitting randomize on a sequencer gives you something that sounds like bees inside your head, and you have to prune it back to something that’s musically useful.

And by the way that Coirt S&H rules because you can feed it a polyphonic input and it generates a polphonic output. And you can tune the random range and offset it.

{33D8E971-3F2F-4D9E-B765-8821B9A32B44}

3 Likes

Nice!