STS Odyssey

It seems as if the STS brand has stopped. Is this true?. I’m after the STS Odyssey, for a Mac if it makes any difference. Does anyone have a copy?

The GitHub repo was emptied some time ago. This was because the modules were free but not open source. Yet I’ve got a copy of the v1 repo and didn’t take much to port to v2.

̶I̶’̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶s̶u̶r̶e̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶G̶P̶L̶ ̶v̶3̶ ̶l̶i̶c̶e̶n̶s̶e̶,̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶e̶s̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶,̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶s̶ ̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶e̶w̶ ̶r̶e̶p̶o̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶m̶y̶ ̶p̶o̶r̶t̶;̶ ̶I̶’̶d̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶g̶o̶t̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶a̶s̶k̶ ̶(̶t̶y̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶i̶n̶d̶e̶r̶)̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶q̶u̶e̶s̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶:̶

̶h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶g̶i̶t̶h̶u̶b̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶S̶m̶a̶l̶l̶T̶o̶w̶n̶S̶o̶u̶n̶d̶/̶S̶T̶S̶/̶i̶s̶s̶u̶e̶s̶/̶2̶

Edit: the whole repo has now been deleted and Don has emailed me. I’m waiting for permission to post his reply here.

Yes I got a mail from the contact address which confirmed STS were not providing anything with VCV anymore. Has anyone got a MAC copy?

The license that comes with the repo doesn’t allow distribution.

On a Mac here. I tried playing around with STS Poly Oddy in Rack version 1. I never got very far with it but it still works in version 1. Is it still ok to use it?

They also did an expanded version called the Illiad.

1 Like

Still OK to use it for v1 as it’s still listed for download in the library. Have fun with it.

It’s just that I can’t do builds for v2 as I’d have to distribute the source code. I was informed that I can’t do that as I shouldn’t have had access to it in the first place (closed source) due to a mis-config at GitHub 3 years ago.

1 Like

Full transcript for those interested:

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 5:05 PM Steve Russell @.***> wrote:

Would a GPL3+ license allow me to upload the copy of the repo I have to port to Rack v2?

Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2022 at 22:18

Subject: Re: [SmallTownSound/STS] Open source? (Issue #2)

To: SmallTownSound/STS <[STS@noreply.github.com]> Cc: Steve Russell <[@.***]>, Comment <[comment@noreply.github.com]>

No. It was closed source. Parts of the code can not be released, it was always closed source, but free, not sure how you got the code, unless it was a git hub screw up.

On Tue, Nov 1, 2022 at 5:51 PM Steve Russell <[@.***]> wrote:

Hi Don,

I cloned a local copy of the repo 3 years ago.

I’ve ported it to v2 for my own personal use. As a reminder from a user on the Rack forum I thought I would ask if it was possible to release this for v2.

Your reply to my post on the repo issue thread has answered this.

Thank you for the reply, may I post it to the forum to update the thread?

Kind regards & best wishes

Steve

Re: [SmallTownSound/STS] Open source? (Issue #2)

Don Turnock 01:53 (12 hours ago)

Ah, I understand… Github screwed up the hidden part at one point, that is why I removed it, it was supposed to be hidden. Go ahead and use it, but please do not release the finished product, or the code. It was never my decision, it was a friend I was coding with, he didn’t want to release any of his code.

Don

When you make an account on GitHub you sign up to adhere to their Terms Of Service. One of those terms is that you give other people rights to always clone any of your repositories, because that’s how GitHub works. So if someone wants public repositories that they forbid people to clone (absurd idea) then GitHub is not the place, because you’re always allowed to do that there.

Of course if someone made a mistake in making a repo public for a while, when it should have been hidden, then the right thing to do is respect that when pointed out.

Thank you I grabbed both the Oddy and Iliad and have them in black orange and white on my screen now. Just watching Omri so will tinker with them afterwards. Thanks again

1 Like