(strike New) Updated Venom Plugin v2.1.4 now available in the Library!

Yes, as Koen said, my 2.1.4 update to the Venom plugin introduces anti-aliasing options via over sampling to the WinComp and Bernoulli Switch modules. It can make a huge difference when working with harmonically rich high frequency outputs. The Bernoulli Switch also has an option for slewed cross fade switching to prevent pops when slowly switching audio signals.

Here are all the v2.1.4 changes as listed in the change log:

• Bernoulli Switch
    • Add anti-pop switching and oversampling options to the module context menu to better support audio output
    • The A and B outputs now produce the same number of channels in all cases
    • Add presets to emulate the four possible Mutable Instruments Branches configurations
  • WinComp
    • Add oversampling module context menu options to better support audio output
    • Move Absolute Value and Invert module context menu options to individual port context menus
  • Recurse and Recurse Stereo
    • Show all normalled connections on faceplate
  • Rhythm Explorer
    • Add ā€œAll - Resetā€ and ā€œAll - Newā€ division modes. The ā€œAll - Newā€ option enables creation of multiple rhythm generators that share a common clock, as well as shared reset and dice triggers.
    • Add Reset Timing context menu option
    • Dice and Reset buttons now remain lit until they take effect
    • Preserve seed between sessions
    • User presets now preserve seed so entire pattern can be saved
    • Cleanup run start behavior
    • Update Vermona Random Rhythm factory preset to support two rhythm generators, like the Vermona.
    • Round the square button corners

Below are some example patches and videos that demonstrate the positive effect oversampling can have. Both examples are running VCV Rack at 48 kHz sample rate.

My most recent Benjolin V4 patch uses WinComp to reduce aliasing in the PWM signal. The Benjolin compares two triangle waves and emits a high gate when Osc 1 < Osc 2, and low when Osc 1 >= Osc 2. This creates pulses that are reminiscent of a pulse width modulated square wave, but it is susceptible to serious aliasing when one or both oscillators are at high frequencies. My patch nonrmally has the WinComp oversampling enabled, but the following video shows what can happen if it is not.

You can get the demo patch at:

And here is an example showing how using Bernoulli Switch to swap left/right channels of two audio signals at audio rates can also create aliasing, and how the Bernoulli Switch can seriously reduce the aliasing.

Bernoulli Switch oversample test.vcv (4.2 KB)

Iā€™ve got some more demo patches and videos to share, hopefully within the next couple days.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve posted a really cool use for the Venom Recurse and HQ modules - iterative ring modulation that remains musically harmonious. I think the subject deserves its own topic.

2 Likes