stoermelder's PackOne v1.6

[EDIT: my bad, I was launching Rack 1.1.5 by mistake] Hey @stoermelder, looks like v1.6 has hit the library, congrats! However, updating doesn’t seem to work on my Rack (Windows). I’ve even tried to remove the previous folder but while clicking update, the folder is correctly downloaded but the modules don’t appear in the browser and the “update red dot” is still appearing in the Library menu. Same with MindMeld 1.1.6 by the way. Is there a problem with the Library at the moment?

Thanks a cheers! Just love your creative modules BTW!

Looks OK here on WIndows

1 Like

Thank you! My bad, I was launching Rack 1.1.5 by mistake.

I couldn’t get Glue to work though. It either crashes or create labels that are invisible (not an opacity problem, I’ve changed it)

An update has been submitted to the Library as soon as I noticed this problem. I hope it will be available soon.
When you click „Initialize“ after adding the module it will work correctly.

3 Likes

Thank you for the fast answer! No problem :slight_smile: have a great day!

1 Like

This has nothing to do with my modules but both wouldn’t have happened without VCV Rack: Look at these beauties I just got! @sempervirent

14 Likes

PackOne v1.6 is finally available in the VCV Library!

Unfortunately I overlooked a pretty bad bug on GLUE and I had to push another update. Now everything is working and manuals are also available :sunglasses:

Here’s the changelog, addtional information can be found in the opening post.

v1.6

• Module AFFIX, µAFFIX
    • New modules, inserts for polyphonic cables for adding offsets in volt, semitones or ocatves
  • Module GLUE
    • New module, label maker for your modules!
  • Module GOTO
    • New module, utility for jumping directly to 10 locations in your patch by hotkey or using MIDI
  • Module GRIP
    • New module, lock for module parameters
  • Module MIRROR
    • New module, utility for synchronizing module parameters
  • Module POLY-PILE
    • New module, polyphonic version of PILE

Fixes and Changes

• Module MAZE
    • Added option for disabling normalization to the yellow input ports (#95)
    • Added independent ratcheting settings for each sequencer-playhead (#94)
  • Module MIDI-STEP
    • Added option for polyphonic output for all channels on port 1
    • Increased number of CCs to 16 although 9-16 can only be used in polyphonic mode
  • Module PILE
    • Removed slew-limiting after preset-load
  • Module ROTOR mod A
    • Allow bipolar carrier signal / remove clamping on 0…10V
    • Added offset for output channel number (#121)
  • Module SAIL
    • Rewritten how the target values are applied onto the parameters (#106). You can’t use IN and INC/DEC the same time anymore, just use two instances of the module.

v1.6.1

Fixes and Changes

• Module GLUE
    • Fixed invalid initialization on new instances
  • Module MIDI-CAT
    • Added option for re-sending MIDI feedback values
  • Module ROTOR mod A
    • Indicate inactive output channels in blue
10 Likes

Hi Ben, I found a couple of problems with Midi-Step. I’ve been using Midi-Step, Pile, Merge and CV-Map to use my Komplete Kontrol and Beatstep Pro to control VCV Rack for a while and everything worked perfectly, no more knob jumping. I updated to 1.6.1 and opened a patch that had all of the above working and turned some knobs and nothing happened. After I reassigned the 1st 2 CCs in Midi-Step, then it started to work, sort of. At this point turning a knob up worked, the light for the CC showed activity, and the knob moved, but when I turned it down, nothing happened, no activity light, and the knob didn’t move. My Komplete Kontrol and Beatstep Pro have the same problem.
I fired up Arturia Analog Lab to make sure both devices were working properly, and both devices worked as expected, knobs turned up and down, with no jumping.

Please provide a example patch. I’m not sure what you mean by „activity light“ but I will check what’s going on.

It’s the wire light, I’m not sure what the proper term is. In this patch, turning down a knob doesn’t work. template-v1.vcv (61.1 KB)

I accidentally changed the port numbering of MIDI-STEP which resulted in all cables from “DEC”-ports disappearing. It will be fixed in 1.6.2 or you can download the latest build from my GitHub.

1 Like

Thanks Ben

The fixed version is now available in the Library.

3 Likes

Will Strip and Glue work in Rack v2?

I think so. I will give a definitive answer as soon as the source is available.

i have a question and maybe feature request for midi-cat: i played around a bit with midi-cat and an akai apc key 25 controller - it has many buttons and i managed to map them nicely via midi-cat (a big thanks for all those amazing modules btw.) but the feedback to the lights of the buttons is not perfect yet … if i press any of the buttons it sends a note on channel 1 with velocity 127 and midi-cat is sending this note back which results in a green light on the button

the buttons on this controller (and i guess all other akai controllers too maybe) can be lit depending on the velocity value of a note on event being sent back: 0 = off, 1 = green, 2 = green blinking, 3 = red, 4 = red blinking, 5 = yellow, 6 = yellow blinking, all remainings = green …

would it be possible to add an option to either midi-cat - or even better: to each mapping - to choose a defined velocity value to send back to the device instead of returning the received one back to it in toggle mode on every “toggle off”? as a bonus this configurable velocity value could also be sent back with a “note on” instead of “note off” command in momentary mode when you receive the note off event on the input

with this it would be possible to easily get very good visual feedback on the buttons about their state … if that configurable velocity could be configured on a per mapping basis, one could even give different buttons different colors

it would be really really nice if this could be somehow added to midi-cat :slight_smile:

best wishes and thanks once more for your modules - hexdump

update: i just rethought about the multiple colour mode - this would actually require two custom velocities to be configurable: one (something like “light in a sepcial color on” - 1…6 for the akai controller depending on color) which is sent with the “toggle on” in toggle mode and with the “note on” in momentary mode and one (something like “light off” - 0 for the akai for light off) for the “toggle off” in toggle mode and for the “note on” sent instead of “note off” in momentary mode … so maybe as a start a green only mode should be enough and this would only require this configurable velocity value to be sent back at toggle off instead of the received velocity and this could even be configured globally for all mappings of a midi-cat module, so no really big required change to midi-cat i guess

update 2: it looks like my proposal would even work on novation launch xyz controllers - they only have to be put into a special control mode first: https://www.partsnotincluded.com/how-to-control-the-leds-on-a-novation-launchkey-mini-ii/

1 Like

Thanks for this request, something very similar has been described before: Stoermelder's PackOne v1.4.0 - new module INTERMIX. I have an open issue for that but I’m afraid I probably won’t find time in the near future…

hi @stoermelder - thanks for the info - i maybe should have checked there myself beforehand … i added a note pointing to my posting above to the issue, so that we at least have the link to its information there too … seeing your list of open issues i can understand that this most probably will not be the first one you plan to work on :slight_smile:

best wishes - hexdump

Hi @stoermelder, is it possible to save labeled modules (Glue) with the Strip-module. Btw nice work and awesome modules :wink: Thx and have a nice day

Yes. It is already implemented and will be available in the next update.

4 Likes