stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

Ok, another update for MB:

• added multi-tag filtering
  • added sorting-options
  • added filtering by brand on context menu

11 Likes

:+1: :wink:

3 Likes

Hi Ben, wondering if there is any way you can make it possible to label the end point of cables?

I think a filter “only show Growler” would be super useful :wink:

7 Likes

Or only modules with low anti-aliasing???

2 Likes

:laughing:

1 Like

Thanks a lot !!

Thank you so much for the v1 browser modifications!!! :heart:

1 Like

Oh jeebus holy hell that MB module is the best thing that happened to my VCV Rack user experience since v1.0 update. Thank you so much for this.

2 Likes

Scroll-reset is improved in the latest commit.

:heart:

I’m glad you like it :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Can you explain this a little more? How should such a label look like?

Something like this:

Cable Glue

Maybe without the top left corner showing and maybe cover the cable section with the label colour so it looks like the sticker has been wrapped around the cable?

Prior art:

1 Like

I see. Possible? Yes. Will it happen soon: I don’t think so :wink:

1 Like

Is this the Stoermelder™ “not soon”, which usually means there will be a beta up in the next day or three? Because if so, I’m excited! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I think I finally have an idea for the browser. Is there any way to add a button or modifier key to “Reset filter & keep text” I don’t know how many times I open the brower and immediately start typing without realizing I have a tag/brand/favorites selected, then I hit reset and type the exact same thing.

9 Likes

This, this and half a this.

You know that hitting backspace in an empty search field clears all filters? This works in the default browser and I didn’t change it.
But yes, I can add Ctrl+Click to the Reset-button for keeping the text search and resetting everything else.

3 Likes

I noticed that ctrl space for showing hiding modules doesn’t work when there is any text in the text box. I think it would be useful if possible.)

Hi there. I’ve just discovered the new abilities of the MIDI-CAT yesterday night and spent half of the night playing around with my midi controller and VCV instead of going out, on Friday night…that’s what you do to the people, haha.

Anyways, may i suggest some slight improvements to the workflow?:

When i choose a midi controller and a channel, it would make sense to have the same controller and channel chosen automatically in the midi feedback field as well, at least in case of using standard midi controllers it makes sense i think. And while at it, i don’t see a way to clear all the mappings without initializing the module itself, which then clears the controller assignment as well, which makes a user again do the same job…would be great to be just able to clear the mappings.

Next, to map the module using new ‘automap’ function we need to either go to the context menu or use one of the keyboard shortcuts. I suspect there’s much simpler way to do that my using ‘apply mapping’ button on the expander module. I mean, it already allows to point to the module but only when you want to apply your previous mapping, so why not let it also help with the initial mapping? Maybe it could be done in such a way that if there’s no stored mapping it just automaps the module, and if there is, it automaps it using the preset?

Now, when we’ve mapped all the controls, there’s a long list of them. ANd each of them have a name of the module itself in the beginning…Which makes sense for the original use of the MIDI-CAT, since you can map any parameter of any module in the same place. But when one instance used for mapping one module, the name just take space, it takes more scrolling to actually see the parameter name, and sometimes it makes it very unpractical. Maybe there could be another way to show which module is link to this particular instance if MIDI-CAT, like separate text box or something?

Next important step is assigning midi controls to each mapped parameter. There’s a couple of things could be done to make the process more pleasant: First, when we go through the list of the parameters and we want to skip one, the only option right now(correct me if i’m wrong) is to press the escape button or click outside the module to stop the assignment process and then start again manually skipping the unwanted ones in the list. What if we could press something else instead of escape button and jump to the next parameter in the list leaving the current one unassigned? like an arrow key combo or something…Maybe unassigned parameters could even automatically be moved to the bottom of the list or deleted by another key combo, to keep things tidy?

Second way to improve the assignment workflow would be to allow assignment of individual parameter by clicking on the mapping indicator itself. I know they are tiny, but if you zoom in enough it’s okey, and when working with midi mappings and such it wouldn’t be be a problem i think.

And finally, something which i find very cumbersome right now is choosing an input mode for midi cc…I need to find a parameter in the list, right-click on it, go to the context menu…and like this for every parameter! Can’t we just have an option which would let us set the take over mode for the controller globally? I don’t see a reason to have all the controls respond differently, but if that’s needed, there’s still an option to change them one by one after…The whole point to make the workflow faster, so i feel like this option is a must, otherwise there’s still a lot of ‘manual labour’ involved.

Oh no, i wrote so much, sorry, but i’m just trying to make myself clear as possible…but still, on last little thing: MEM presets, are they saved only with the patch? Because if i open a new patch i don’t see those presets anymore, they’re gone…I pretty sure this should be accessible globally, otherwise people have to map everything from scratch every time they work on a new project…

Again, thanks for all the great job you’ve done, personally, i feel like most of your work should become a standard functionality of VCV rack itself, because these modules don’t leave my template for sure!