stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

Not sure what you mean by that. 8FACE has no problems in the VST as far as I am aware of, nevertheless I’m waiting for a statement by support before doing any special workarounds.

it works but as you stated yourself it causes some spikes in cpu

If the @stoermelder pack one modules are working in VST, VCV V2 will finally feel complete.

4 Likes

Yeah exactly for me too :slight_smile:
It is the last plugin i am waiting for to start launching new Patreon content.

haha exactly!

Yes!

1 Like

The latest build is up on Stoermelder’s github page.

At least now I can save my VST setups with Pack One included.

Note that Transit is still making the VST crash due to high CPU load while morphing.

Be sure to set the precision in the right click menu to the lowest setting and also set the Transition Slider to the lowest possible. The moment these are up, at least Bitwig, the VST can’t handle the information.

Maybe we need an even lower precision setting for the VST, like 128 as a workaround for now? Or the outgoing MIDI data from VCV should be blockable per module.

But very happy to see there is a new build to test in VCV. The weekend will be one big Snapshot!

J

Thanks for your feedback.
I proposed to VCV support to make it optional if parameter changes done by mappings get propagated to the VST host. I haven’t heard anything since 13th December (except for “Thanks, we got your message”).

1 Like

Makes you wonder why people bother…

@contemporaryinsanity @stoermelder Sorry, we are dealing with a large volume of support requests. I’ve responded to most developers a few hours ago but I believe Ben may have not gotten one as his request wasn’t a submission of a build. Sorry about that too.

3 Likes

Bens creations are arguably the VCV secret sauce. Were I ‘VCV’, I’d treat him with the utmost respect.

4 Likes

I can only imagine what Team VCV had to deal with in the last two months since release. Kudos to that. On the other hand I would love to see something like a schedule. I know of a lot of Plugins who are waiting for the next library update and a lot of users as well. And even content creators… Omris last fixed rack video is still not working due to the missing Befaco update.

One posting per week with information about “This plugins are submitted and currently in review: […], next library update on friday with the following plugins: […], Team is on vacation from x to y, current support-backlog is ticket 5345” - that would be fantastic and transparent.

7 Likes

@contemporaryinsanity The only thing you’re contributing to this discussion is negativity.

If you’ve never worked for a software company with many users, you can’t understand the pressure that the VCV developers are under. They have to decide what issues to prioritize, and they can’t keep everyone 100% satisfied.

It may be frustrating for Ben, but I think he knows what the Rack Devs are up against.

No idea how big the VCV team is at this point but they’re doing the best in the face of supporting literally thousands of new users who have hundreds of problems to report. When I’ve reported issues the turnaround was 2 days, which is quick enough for me.

Lots of people who saw modular gear on youtube and decided $99 for Rack2 was going to make them into Deadmau5. I reckon many support issues boil down to PEBKAC - Problem Exists Between Keyboard and Chair. I think it’s a testament to their patience and work ethic of the Rack crew that they don’t spend half the day hiding under their desks weeping.

12 Likes

Let’s keep it civil. I respect Ben enormously. Ben’s sunk some time into modules that I’ve had ideas for and I appreciate all he does. If he charged for his modules I’d be among the first to line up.

7 Likes

You know, I think this an interesting dynamic / disagreement.

For sure VCV Rack is an amazing thing, The creator of VCV Rack is an amazingly talented person. It takes incredible focus to pull off a product like this. We are all amazed, and should be patient for new stuff.

And yet… there are some third-party developers that are quite amazing, too. The modules from Stoermolder, Bogaudio, and I’ll just throw in some others – Submarine, and Impromptu, are also amazing pieces of free software. These modules are so much “better” than the average VCV module it’s almost comical. Are they 10X better? 100X better? Well - what does that even mean?

In any case, there are some lines of modules that are just light years ahead. But it seems these developers don’t get any special support from VCV. They don’t get any acknowledgement from VCV. Since no commercial magazines review VCV modules they don’t get stellar reviews.

So, I think it’s a fair question to ask. Why can’t Stoermolder expect help from VCV figuring out the vagaries of the VST runtime environment? Stoermolder doesn’t charge money for the modules, what can we expect from them?

14 Likes

I’ve worked as a senior developer for several software companies with many thousands of users, thank you. Some of these roles involved industrial automation, food production, pharmaceutical formulation etc where people could die if things went wrong, so I learnt from very early on that the best way to avoid the pressure that you describe is to ensure that software is sufficiently robust before release, as Ben appears to be trying to do.

5 Likes

I’ve done a little bit of writing about plug-ins. I stalled on a long article about frozen Wasteland quantizers because iheyre so deeply programmable in ways that are hard to explain simply.

But I’m jealous of my time to just make music.

If someone would review them there would be an audience.

2 Likes

Not only for your modules, but that suggestion could be a plus for VCV Rack itself as well, to be able to switch off certain modules from sending parameter changes. I am sure the whole VCV crew knows the importance of your modules and maybe that’s why it’s taking a bit longer to find a solid transition to V2. Some communication I agree could be more encouraging, but I can imagine you making a module that can block those outgoing messages by choice yourself, when it all takes too long, haha.

The latest build is already much more stable. No more crashes on re-opening and the lower CPU settings for Transit work as a workaround for now. Still even in it’s lowest settings with Transit I can see the DAW working hard to deal with all that information when morphing snapshots, but not to a complete freeze of the DAW anymore.

But man, seeing it all work in VST is still mindblowing to me.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah, I got my feet wet with stoermelder a couple months ago in rack1 and I have to say the creative potential of something like “transit” was ridiculous. that being said, stoermelder’s are on the top of my list of most eagerly awaited.

on the other hand I also wait for an AU and AAX version of the plugin, and since m1 macs have plenty of power while no noticeable fan noise ever (I hate noise in my studio) my personal priority list looks like this: m1 native versions of everything first - then stoermelder plugs for vcv, then more plugin protocols for vcv (au, aax) then bugfixes and newer versions.

2 Likes

YES! I’ve been looking for a solution for this type off controller. Nektar has their Panorama controller which is supposed to map to s/w VSTs, but will it work with VCV? Same for the Novation SL Mk3 series of keyboards, or even the Ableton Push 2. Lots of controllers map to VSTs automatically especially in Ableton, but is there a solution for VCV mapping?