stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

You mean the overlay should show when making adjustments by mouse? Like the tooltip?

Hey Ben!! Such good news o your development of Pack One. Just keeps getting better and better.

One thing about STRIP, not sure if this is addressed. When I have a strip with Randomization Exclusions and I delete one Module from the strip or move one around, all the exclusions from the modules behind it disappear. So I need to exclude the parameters all over again. Is that in any way solvable? Love that Random knob!!

Thanks in advance.

Jeroen

1 Like

Yep, those normal tooltips built-in in rack are very small especially on low zooming, your amazing overlays can do a patching little more comfortable I guess. BTW never seen before such kind of overlays in any musical software ever! Looks like as expensive Waldorf synth or something, which is pretty cool and focusing. So for mouse it still can be useful and nice looking

1 Like

That’s just brilliant!

1 Like

Wow! Almost can’t believe this is true, such a dope idea!

1 Like

Someone posted a screenshot of something like that to an issue on GitHub, at least I think it was as I can’t find it anymore. Nevertheless, I didn’t know how to implement it at that time, so I rejected this feature request.
The day before yesterday it happend to me that I couldn’t remember which knob on my Beatstep Pro controlled which parameter in the patch, several times, the whole evening :slight_smile: So I sat down and implemented this for myself, mostly. But I’m glad you like it :+1:

Hm, I think this is “by-design”, kind of: When you delete one module the strip gets broken up (the modules aren’t attached anymore) and excluded/included parameters get cleaned up. Can you confirm it happens only to parameters on modules that are “cut off” the strip?

Yes it happens to all modules that are after the one that is replaced or ‘cut off’. With the arrow pointing ‘left’ on strip, all modules ‘left’ of the deleted/replaced module will lose it’s random exclusions, even after moving them closer to STRIP again. The workaround would be to keep the modules that will stay in the row, closer to the STRIP module and the ones that are replaced further away in the row. But that’s very unpredictable.

I hope I am not missing the randomisation options on STRIP MK2? :slight_smile:

Hi Ben, just wondering if you ever got around to attempting to enable use of GLUE on cables as well as modules? Can’t remember where we left this discussion.

Hey @stoermelder

I was wondering if it might be interesting to you to develop a module that gives access to important function keys via mappable buttons. :slight_smile:

My use case is the following: I want to be able to use Ctrl, Shift and Alt with MIDI buttons, since I don’t have enough space on my table to fit my pc keyboard into a comfortable position, so I always have to reach for it to use the function keys… I have tried to solve this with Midi2Key, but it only works for the Ctrl key and does not allow for Shift and Alt, since it’s based on a Windows API that does not support those two keys.

So my proposal would be a module with a few buttons that access Ctrl, Shift and Alt functions.

This sounds like a very special use-case and I’m not sure if such a module would be useful for anybody else?

Yeah… it would be good for anyone who wants to use only mouse (if the switches could be toggled) or a combination of mouse and MIDI controller, but I don’t know if there are more people who put their keyboard out of comfortable reach when racking… for my special setup it would be very convenient, because my desk is already full but I have a bunch of unused buttons on the controllers…

I was hoping a bit that it would make you curious to whether it could be done, but no worries if you’re not into the idea of it.

not really :slight_smile: I also would like to do convert basic operations with shift and control to my X-touch together with using Sail on the knob. It can really remove keyboard while messing with VCV Rack and I feel nice about it personally. There are some paid software that allows to convert midi to keyboard but they are such a mess and sometimes even doesn’t work with VCV while I tried demo

1 Like

Ok, I will think about it. A hypothetical module would look like MIDI-MAP but instead of controlling a parameter it would generate any keyboard event.

1 Like

That would be great!

I think a module with simple buttons and the option to set them to momentary or toggle would be even better, because then it would also cover the potential use case of just using a mouse and toggling the buttons with the mouse when needed. For people who have neither MIDI controller nor keyboard in their immediate reach.

1 Like

I would really like to be able to use the port SLOT Arm mode in conjunction with the C4 mode , perhaps by adding another input ?

Besides the need for need for another input port (which I will not add): This can be easily done with existing modules, no need for „Arm“ mode when sequencing from another module. Just stay in C4 mode and align your sequencer signal to a clock using a Sample & Hold module.

Hi Ben, first off, thanks a lot for your brilliant modules!

I am currently toying around with different ideas to quickly/flexibly add control elements like buttons and knobs to a module canvas. My use case is that I want to use this module as an interface to control other modules in the patch via midi mappings from a unified interface (some more about this here).

Long story short, I’ve been thinking that your GLUE module already has a lot of what I’d need for this. To illustrate what I have in mind:

In the screenshot, I’ve used a VCV Blank (resizable) and added a few labels. (Strip even allows saving the whole state of this prototype controller :star_struck:). Now the functionality I’m looking for would be to freely place interface elements like buttons and knobs just like I can do with labels. Two possibilities would be to 1) make modules similar to GLUE that allow placing those elements, or 2) have some experimental mode within GLUE that expands some magic commands like {{btn}} or similar into actual control elements.

Regardless of these two possibilities, what would be required is creation of control elements on the fly. As long as that is possible, I’d imagine coding this up based on GLUE might be relatively straightforward? I have no experience with VCV plugin development so far, so I wanted to ask for your input. More specifically, 1) would on the fly widget creation be possible?, and – in case you like the idea at all – 2) would you have an interest in implementing it or receiving a PR if I succeeded?

Cheers!

No news on this one. I create an issue on GitHub for reminding me.