stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

Ok, I should really stop lying about these things…

13 Likes

You’re my favorite

2 Likes

Faves + thumbnails is fantastic

I was not a fan of the text-only browser, but usable faves was definitely something I needed

1 Like

OH! That was a real long waited killshot! Thank you so much Ben. As always hotkey suggestions :wink: - Ctrl-F for marking module as a favorite, Ctrl-H for hiding? I’m not sure that the mouse right-click can handle over 2 thousand modules) Thanks again. and yeah maybe I’m a slowpoke but should to ask - would PACKTAU be released in library for rack v1 ever? Oh yeah, and last but not least - is there any possiblities to transfer hidden and favorite modules settings to the another machine? EDIT - Also I found hiding modules is pretty useful when you really want to improve not only the workflow but also render speed of browser’s previews! Gamechanger, niiice

1 Like

I’ll add something like that later this day.

No, that won’t happen. I consider “PackTau” as my public plugin for testing and other sort of crazy stuff. What might happen is that I move one of the modules to PackOne which is available in the VCV Library.

Yes. The settings are stored in “Stoermelder-PT.json” in your Documents-folder. You can copy this file to another machine if you like. Maybe I’ll add an export/import function as well, we will see.

6 Likes

This is absolutely awesome work! Thank you!

+1 for export/import function, if you have the time; multiple lists for different contexts (as well as sharing lists) would be great!

Is hiding modules a one-way trip right now? [ETA: no, it’s not; Ctrl-Space toggles them back in; thanks @stoermelder] I haven’t looked closely at the new code, but I couldn’t see it in the interface–apologies if I missed it. Without it, hiding is still useful but pretty drastic as it requires a trip to the JSON to bring something back.

Assuming unhiding isn’t implemented, it seems like a very quick solution (if you felt like it) would be to add a “Hidden” collection below “Favorites” that showed all of, and only, the Hidden modules (filtered by brand/tag exactly the way that Favorites is). That would allow things like “Which of the NYSTHI modules did I hide, again? I’d like that one back.”

When I implemented a version of module hiding back in V0.6 days, I did a “hide mode” (opened with Ctrl-click) that replaced the Favorites button with a Hidden button, which seemed like a reasonable solution for the text browser (assuming that hiding was something users would want to do in batches, rather than during ordinary workflow). But of course the V1 browser doesn’t have buttons of either kind.

See here: Zoom thumbnails in Module Browser - #32 by stoermelder

2 Likes

Beautiful! Thanks very much. Sorry I missed the cross-reference :slight_smile:

No problem, I didn’t reference the instructions at first.
I added hotkeys and import/export a few moments ago.

3 Likes

Please don’t :slight_smile: You’re doing the lord’s work Ben, thank you!

2 Likes

Indeed. Truly awesome!

I started preparing the next release of PackOne!
Manual for STROKE - done.

11 Likes

SPIN
Device for converting mouse-wheel events or middle mouse-button into triggers. The module is especially useful with SAIL: this combination gives you mouse-wheel control of hovered parameters and fine-control using the middle mouse-button.

5 Likes

I only just now noticed the lovely German typo in the title of this thread. And it makes me love Ben even more :hugs:

3 Likes

Haha… :rofl:

1 Like

Great Addition, Ben! Mouse Wheel control was something I expected to work in VCV coming from the DAW-world.

This will likely go into every patch from now on.

2 Likes

MEM
A companion module for MIDI-CAT: The expander allows you store an unlimited number of module-specific mappings which can be recalled for the same type of module without doing any mapping manually.

Also, the manual for MIDI-CAT has been updated, or should I say “completely re-written”.
Sometimes I think that writing manuals takes more of my time than implementing the modules… :face_with_monocle:

10 Likes

Ben your hard work is really appreciated :+1:

tho may I ask two questions?

will the gamma pack ever be updated/officially released (I like the cheb12 very much)?

is there any kind of manual for seeds/flowers/offspring ?

1 Like

To be honest, I don’t know. I didn’t look at the modules for quite some time. These are my first attempt to do some dsp-processing using an external library… Thanks for reminding me, I need to take another look…

Not yet. I’m planning to release version 1.7.0 of PackOne until next weekend but I won’t include FLOWER/SEEDS/OFFSPRING in this release. They are the my most complicated modules yet (about 3000 lines of code) and need much more testing before release, maybe even some changes. Also, it will take time to write the manuals.

I’ll can you give some hints for getting started:

• FLOWER is the main sequencer module. I suggest you concentrate on this module at first.
  • The sequence has various settings. The EDIT-button on the bottom rotates the interface between the modes output voltage/step active, step probability, step ratchets, step slew, auxiliary sequence.
  • The LED circle is used for selecting the steps and displaying their values the same time. The selected step flashes in white, the value is shown by the number of lit LEDs of the ring. Fine adjustments can be made by the “flower”-control in the center.
  • The pattern-section on the right defines how the main sequence is played and is the core-idea of the module. There are several pattern-modes but these might change before the release. Long pressing the pattern-buttons sets the number of times the pattern/sequence is repeated.
  • The phrase-section on the left sets different presets for the pattern-section. The main-sequence is not part of a phrase.
  • The radomize-function has various settings in the context menu.
  • OFFSPRING is an extender that needs to be placed on the right side of FLOWER but you can use multiple instances. It extends the sequencer with another track and provides the same settings as the main module and follows the main module on patterns and phrases.
  • SEEDS is an extender that needs to be placed on the left side of FLOWER, also with multiple instances possible. It focuses on triggers and envelopes which also follow the main module on patterns and phrases.

The main module is loosely inspired on a hardware sequencer, I won’t name it though :slight_smile: If you want to know something specfic feel free to ask!

7 Likes

thanks Ben for the short explanations of Flower/Seed/Offspring

I will try them and see if I can understand them more by using them.

And I would like you to work on the gamma modules too,

I shurely would like to help by betatesting them and any other modules you will develope :wink: