stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

I’ve worked as a senior developer for several software companies with many thousands of users, thank you. Some of these roles involved industrial automation, food production, pharmaceutical formulation etc where people could die if things went wrong, so I learnt from very early on that the best way to avoid the pressure that you describe is to ensure that software is sufficiently robust before release, as Ben appears to be trying to do.

5 Likes

I’ve done a little bit of writing about plug-ins. I stalled on a long article about frozen Wasteland quantizers because iheyre so deeply programmable in ways that are hard to explain simply.

But I’m jealous of my time to just make music.

If someone would review them there would be an audience.

2 Likes

Not only for your modules, but that suggestion could be a plus for VCV Rack itself as well, to be able to switch off certain modules from sending parameter changes. I am sure the whole VCV crew knows the importance of your modules and maybe that’s why it’s taking a bit longer to find a solid transition to V2. Some communication I agree could be more encouraging, but I can imagine you making a module that can block those outgoing messages by choice yourself, when it all takes too long, haha.

The latest build is already much more stable. No more crashes on re-opening and the lower CPU settings for Transit work as a workaround for now. Still even in it’s lowest settings with Transit I can see the DAW working hard to deal with all that information when morphing snapshots, but not to a complete freeze of the DAW anymore.

But man, seeing it all work in VST is still mindblowing to me.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

yeah, I got my feet wet with stoermelder a couple months ago in rack1 and I have to say the creative potential of something like “transit” was ridiculous. that being said, stoermelder’s are on the top of my list of most eagerly awaited.

on the other hand I also wait for an AU and AAX version of the plugin, and since m1 macs have plenty of power while no noticeable fan noise ever (I hate noise in my studio) my personal priority list looks like this: m1 native versions of everything first - then stoermelder plugs for vcv, then more plugin protocols for vcv (au, aax) then bugfixes and newer versions.

2 Likes

YES! I’ve been looking for a solution for this type off controller. Nektar has their Panorama controller which is supposed to map to s/w VSTs, but will it work with VCV? Same for the Novation SL Mk3 series of keyboards, or even the Ableton Push 2. Lots of controllers map to VSTs automatically especially in Ableton, but is there a solution for VCV mapping?

That explains why I couldn’t get scenes to work. Figured I was missing something. Even when the modules are not complete they’re still great.

Another update.
It’s over two months now and I haven’t heard anything from VCV support. You can be sure I have a pretty solid opinion about that, but this been a public forum I will keep it to myself.

In the meantime I’m considering dropping support for the VST for all mapping modules (MIDI-CAT, CV-MAP, microMAP etc.), meaning these modules won’t be available in the VST. But I haven’t decided yet.

9 Likes

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Ok I am going to SPAM them now every day. We need your modules.

I dropped them an email at support. Not sure if we all do that, it will help the process, but at least we can show them the support for your modules is huge.

4 Likes

It’s really sad to hear that.

Really sorry to hear that Ben.

Please don’t drop support for the mapping modules, instead do push the update to the library, maybe that might make it more of an issue for VCV to speed up support for the plugin?

I too will send en email to support, for what it’s worth.

edit: (sent)

2 Likes

Likewise. Considering the magic Stoermelder has bought to VCV the lack of support is very disappointing.

4 Likes

@pgatt you guys need to sort this out pronto, Ben’s modules are insanely useful and losing them over VCV’s red tape would be a crime.

Shame hearing this. The way the Frequency Domain v2 submission was handled by the VCV staff (at least four weeks of total silence, even when the developer tried to contact them multiple times just to hear something from them) was so bad I thought it was an outlier; and now, it’s not very nice hearing that this is the usual way things go, Stoermelder waiting for two months to hear anything back. Ghosting this much on the developers who provide this environment with the most interesting and inspiring modules is obviously a bad idea in the long run.

1 Like

@Vortico can you help here?

Ben, imho it would be a great loss if your modules aren’t available in the VST

For my part, i’m currently switching back to V1 of VCV because i simply cannot compose / arrange without using Stoermelder modules wich are an integrated part of my setup. I really hope support will sort it out soon.

1 Like

No need, development builds are available and work fine here in 2.0.6 standalone (at least the ones I habitually use do). The main problems manifest when rack (pro) is run as a VST.

3 Likes

This is Andrew’s response to me begging on my knees to help out Ben haha.

@stoermelder see below, are you waiting on a follow up? Or no response to the VST questions you have?

Thank you for letting us know! We responded to Benjamin’s ticket on January 3, 15 hours after his support request on January 2. We have a responsive support team and are available most days to answer user, customer, developer questions and requests. Let me know if you need anything else or have any other questions.

Andrew Belt

Thanks but i already downloaded this release.

I’m using 8face and transit modules for snapshots in the standalone version but as soon as i try to reload my patches (with this modules connected to my DAW via the MIDI CC > CV) i systematically get a crash seemingly related to the Stoermelder plugins. Knowing that they’re not still present in the library, i supposed it was related to issues that support haven’t fixed yet.

That said, i would be glad and gratefull if someone knowing this problem had eventually found a solution.

I got the same clarrification in mail just now, so maybe something got lost in communication between support and @stoermelder Ben? But at least it is now getting more attention, could you try again Ben?