stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

That would be great!

I think a module with simple buttons and the option to set them to momentary or toggle would be even better, because then it would also cover the potential use case of just using a mouse and toggling the buttons with the mouse when needed. For people who have neither MIDI controller nor keyboard in their immediate reach.

1 Like

I would really like to be able to use the port SLOT Arm mode in conjunction with the C4 mode , perhaps by adding another input ?

Besides the need for need for another input port (which I will not add): This can be easily done with existing modules, no need for „Arm“ mode when sequencing from another module. Just stay in C4 mode and align your sequencer signal to a clock using a Sample & Hold module.

Hi Ben, first off, thanks a lot for your brilliant modules!

I am currently toying around with different ideas to quickly/flexibly add control elements like buttons and knobs to a module canvas. My use case is that I want to use this module as an interface to control other modules in the patch via midi mappings from a unified interface (some more about this here).

Long story short, I’ve been thinking that your GLUE module already has a lot of what I’d need for this. To illustrate what I have in mind:

In the screenshot, I’ve used a VCV Blank (resizable) and added a few labels. (Strip even allows saving the whole state of this prototype controller :star_struck:). Now the functionality I’m looking for would be to freely place interface elements like buttons and knobs just like I can do with labels. Two possibilities would be to 1) make modules similar to GLUE that allow placing those elements, or 2) have some experimental mode within GLUE that expands some magic commands like {{btn}} or similar into actual control elements.

Regardless of these two possibilities, what would be required is creation of control elements on the fly. As long as that is possible, I’d imagine coding this up based on GLUE might be relatively straightforward? I have no experience with VCV plugin development so far, so I wanted to ask for your input. More specifically, 1) would on the fly widget creation be possible?, and – in case you like the idea at all – 2) would you have an interest in implementing it or receiving a PR if I succeeded?

Cheers!

No news on this one. I create an issue on GitHub for reminding me.

Hi Ben, I had to think of your new parameter-overlay for midi-cat, when I read this question: Increase Tooltip Contrast

Is it possible to have that big overlay for every control without mapping Midi-CAT?

It seems I’m getting the go-to-person for interface related questions :rofl:
Artem requested almost the same thing a few days before: I guess „yes, it’s possible“, but I need to code a quick module to be sure, if I find motivation for that :innocent:

2 Likes

Yes, of course :stuck_out_tongue:

That and your open ear on these things.

2 Likes

For sure. I think I’ve asked you questions about that before. It’s kind of a revelation that you can do all these things in a plugin! It’s not all “supported”, but it works and is pretty clean.

I think I must have copied some of your examples when I added “auto patch” to some of my modules. Seq++ will look around for the closest Impromptu clock and patch up the clock/run/reset lines. Kitchen Sink looks for a close one to hook up a two operator FM combo.

Anyway, yes, you are the dev everyone thinks of for these kinds of things.

4 Likes

Thanks Bruce, just trying to improve my C++ knowledge and pushing the limits of Rack‘s API :sweat_smile:

In the meantime I added a new experimental module ME (=mouse enhancements). I generalized the overlay‘s code before so it was pretty easy to hook into the parameter mouse events.

5 Likes

Hodi!

I am just here for a big thumbs up! :+ Your modules are brilliant; I haven’t gone through half of it, I guess, but the ones I have used so far make me really happy and make Rack a better place, for sure!

Thank you, Ben! :gift_heart:

2 Likes

thank you Ben! If you’re interested in future customization of this overlay I’d like to suggest position (up, down, center, left, right), size and opacity. As extreme settings for example it would be like a full screen tooltip with 50% of opacity @_@

Artem always has some feature requests :joy:

2 Likes

yep, sometimes :wink: Just saw DIRT module and the idea is awesome. Is it supposed to be a kind of console emulation situable for audio or for just everything else?

My knowledge about dsp is not nearly good enough to create something like a „console emulation“ :innocent:
The idea is to make polyphonic cables less clean and perfect as they are. In real world you would get some amount of crosstalk between the wires of the cable, depending on its length, and some noise from things near the cable. I haven’t done any research yet for a more realistic behavior, it is just a little bit of code put together on a Sunday morning :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Thanks Ben!

I’ve been preparing the next version 1.9 of PackOne for the last few days and it will hopefully ready within the next week. Big shout to @secretcinema as his donation gave me the necessary motivation to work on it :+1: :slight_smile:

It has been over six months since the last release and the changelog has gotten quite long. Most of the manuals have been updated with the new features, the manuals for the new modules are almost finished also. One more feature on my to-do list will be added, what remains is testing and bug-fixing before release. If anyone wants to join testing I will appreciate reports on any problems you encounter.

The preliminary changelog:

Download of the latest build:

9 Likes

Wow! That’s a lot of stuff.

2 Likes

Yes, too much stuff, caused by me liking to write code and me not liking to write manuals :sweat_smile:

1 Like

haha, I’m slogging through writing a manual now. I usually release only one or two modules at a time - maybe that spreads out the pain? I notice you currently have 39 modules in the library! Makes my 28 seem pretty paltry. And or course many of yours are unusual enough that a decent manual is really required. A lot of mine might as well be “it’s a VCF - use it”.