stoermelder's Idea und Development Thread

That’s quite the trippy sequencer! How do you come up with this stuff :joy: fun to use! :clap:t4: :+1:t4:

2 Likes

Actually @xandra-max contributed this one, all credit is due to him :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great stuff guys! It reminds me of how a butterfly moves, or a bee inside a hive for that matter :slight_smile: Great to watch as well.

Maybe an idea to add selectable voltage output range per color output? (context menu)

ie:

+/- 10

+/- 5

+/- 1

edit: question, does wiring up all of the clock make a difference on the behavior of the movement per individual color, do they influence each others movement? Or are the 4 colors all independent?

Already possible, the same way as in MAZE with edit-mode!

By default the inputs are normalized to yellow but yes, they are independent, except for the SHIFT-inputs which affect all colors the same time.

3 Likes

Ah inside edit mode, and a lot of other nice goodies there, didn’t notice it the first time i went in there, thanks!!

edit: whoaaaa, this thing is really entertaining! love the ratcheting and that it has probability! thanks a lot for this module :pray:t4: @stoermelder @xandra-max

2 Likes

Definitely check out MAZE if you haven’t already; HIVE is the same as MAZE except the original runs on squares whereas this variant runs on hexagons. All credit for the underlying concept goes to @stoermelder for sure, as well as for writing code that’s nice enough to allow me to extend it in this way without having a very clear idea of what I was doing at the start!

I think HIVE and MAZE look and work nice together in tandem, side-by-side. In that case I personally like to clock HIVE with multiples of 3 while clocking MAZE with multiples of 2. :grinning:

Some general thoughts on HIVE, for anyone curious:

I’ve been intrigued by hexagonal grids for about as long as I can remember, largely driven by experiences with strategy games played on hexagonally-gridded game boards: Battle for Wesnoth, Settlers of Catan, Civilization 5, and more recently abstract games from Nick Bentley like Bug, Circle of Life, and Blooms.

In scenarios like those involving strategic positioning and movement, the 6 degrees of hexagonal space create a significant impact in the structure, flow, feel, and apparent complexity of the game. Also, in my completely subjective opinion, hexagonal grids and the games played upon them have a striking visual appeal.

I was also driven by an interest in the interface between the visual appearance of a grid and the pitch/amplitude and rhythm information derived from it, as seen in MAZE. Using MAZE to make music involves beginning perhaps with a musical idea, translating that into intent visually upon MAZE’s grid, hearing a (likely unexpected) result, and finally the resultant sound feeds backward psychologically and informs our perception of the visual appearance of the grid, or at least that’s how it seems to me.

When a sequencer is also a visualizer, and sequences are programmed visually, and the sequencer has a bit of a mind of its own via randomization and probability, there seems to be a rich cyclic interaction between the aural and visual components of perception.

Playing with MAZE and then having the idea for HIVE provided me with a unique opportunity to explore that interest in hexagonal grids. I implemented it while wondering how that same sort of transformation from square to hexagonal in the strategy-space of a game might translate to some sort of an analogous transformation in the music-space of a sequencer, via MAZE’s laws of physics.

It also gave me an opportunity to explore the math behind implementing a hexagonal grid in code, which was for me equally fascinating. Who knew that a hexagonal grid can be thought of as a cube grid? Under-the-hood, HIVE’s coordinate system is derived from cube grid coordinates! If you’re interested in this sort of thing, I highly recommend this impressively thorough exploration from Red Blob Games. It’s got lots of enlightening interactive diagrams and animations.

After making HIVE, I started work on another module based on a hexagonal grid. I put a lot of time into it before switching gears and focusing Algomorph. Eventually I hope to get back to that and get it in working-order, so as to bring more hexagonal modules to the Library. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Hexagonal modules… I wonder if a hexagonal Eurorack case could be built in order to house modules with hexagonal face-plates. It would be more space efficient… I can dream.)

I’m so glad you’re enjoying HIVE @Eurikon ! Also a big thank you to Ben not only for all his modules, but also for making them open source so that others can learn from them like I have, and for accepting HIVE into the PackOne plugin. It’s truly an honor!

5 Likes

Nice module! Since you talk about games, I’ll add that there’s a board game by the same name: Hive, that might be interesting to you.

Only had a chance to try it once but it is a really nice, minimalistic game with rules that are simple but hard to master.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning that. I’d heard of that game a long time ago but never got to spend any time with it, and I’d completely forgotten about it since then. I guess the name HIVE might be a bit on the nose.

Hi Ben a great update of the pack, just one question:

would it be possible to make the moving dots in Hive (Maze) visible with the LightsOff module? IMHO it would look great.

Absolutely.

1 Like

Have never checked Maze before, will definitely give it a spin too!

@Omri_Cohen did have some fun with it in one of his legendary live streams!

5 Likes

As we probably won’t see Rack v2 in 2020 I’m thinking about releasing MB within PackOne. Not sure though.

12 Likes

@stoermelder Hey, I just noticed that Strip can’t save the parameters that another piece of Strip is containing?

My use case was the following: I had a Curve Sequencer 4 with a Strip next to it, in which I had saved all the Level knobs, Curve knobs, and Duration knobs as randomizable values. This combination of Strip + Curve 4 was next to another Strip, with which I saved them as a strip to be ready for usage whenever I’d need a Curve Sequencer 4 with randomizable knobs. Unfortunately the randomized knobs weren’t saved into the strip.

Is this not a possible scenario or am I missing something when doing this?

Not sure I understand you correctly. STRIP is stateless, there is nothing saved inside of the module, you can only export/import your strips.

Okay, that might be the issue here. So, if I’ve understood correctly, the state of all the modules inside a strip is saved to the strip? What I’m trying to do is save the current state of a second STRIP module (with the CS4 knobs saved as included knobs for random) inside a strip, but if the STRIP is stateless, this information is not saved?

Same happens when I try to copy-paste the same combo. And I apologize if I’ve managed to explain the issue not so clearly, second language etc.

Ah, ok, you mean included or excluded parameters for randomization, don’t you? These are saved in the module itself, but not exported in the vcvss-file. Maybe you can provide a patch or something to explan it better?

Exactly!

Here’s a patch for demonstration, hope it opens up what I was looking for. curveseq4randoexample.vcv (7.3 KB)

I guess the problem wouldn’t be there, if the randomization section of STRIP would be its’ own module, but I presume that’d be a bit of a niche case.

Maze works amazingly well for ratcheted hi-hats!

2 Likes

@stoermelder

Hi Ben, how do you unhide modules in MB?

Thanks!