Starling VIA

I’m sure this has been covered before but I can’t find it so any news on Starling being ported for V2?

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah, doesn’t build though.

indeed, missing files make it hard to build :wink:

It built just fine here.

everything else builds fine, this one is being a bit punky, need to massage makefile a bit by looks of it

I am not sure how it does @pgatt as the atsr.cpp tries to #include "atsr.hpp" which does not exist. Ditto for two others including their .hpp which is very much absent. Not a makefile issue, the v2 branch is in need of help it seems

Oh I didn’t try building the V2 branch.

Wait. No I did. But there are issues as you suggest.

You need to clone the Starling Via repo into the top level of the Starling Via-for-Rack repo. then git submodule update --init --recursive then make install

Yeah, that’s not why my build fails though:

That’s not what it says in their instructions, but indeed you need to because submodule update doesn’t work.

Yeah, doesn’t work because they have an SSH link rather than a HTTPS link in their submodule def. See my build failure referenced above.

I just did it and it worked just fine. I have it built and installed in Rack. Ok, sure it doesn’t work automatically, but hey all it means is an extra command.

What OS are you on?

macOS 10.12 (Sierra). See my build issue above for complete build logs. Could be another one of those GCC-11 build issues, I predict we’re going to have a lot of fun with that going forward. What’s your compiler version? (gcc --version).

Configured with: --prefix=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/MacOSX.platform/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX.sdk/usr/include/c++/4.2.1 Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.3) Target: x86_64-apple-darwin20.6.0 Thread model: posix InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin

Did you try make clean before you built by any chance?

Yes, and it’s a fresh clone. I see your compiler is a lot newer than mine:

lab@Lars-iMac:~
$ gcc --version
Configured with: --prefix=/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.2.1
Apple LLVM version 9.0.0 (clang-900.0.39.2)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin

Starling VIA modules (SHA: e4bbad35541edb5bf5738fb9ad93887794713b8f) build successfully with the rack-plugin-toolchain for all platforms. They load and run fine in Rack Pro on Ubuntu.

2 Likes

Does anyone have a Windows build for V2 that I can download? I do not have a dev system setup. Please and thank you.

1 Like

That’s something that just happens from time to time with git. I think it’s is “garbage collecting” you local repo. Usually it happens once, and then doesn’t happen again for a while.

You can force this to happen (in any repo) by running git gc

What version of MacOS do you have on that imac? on my m1 mini with Big Sur 11.6.2 it is

Apple clang version 13.0.0 (clang-1300.0.29.30)

I would be forever grateful to get a Win build… any chance of that?

Oh yes, “packing” it’s called. That’s not what my error was about. I had two problems, like anyone else would have trying to build it:

1. If you follow the build instructions it will fail, because git submodule update --init --recursive will fail, because they by mistake have an SSH link to the Via submodule, instead of the HTTPS link it should have been, which means the building only works on the developers’ machine because he has the SSH key.
  2. To get around that, you can then instead manually git clone https://github.com/starlingcode/Via. BUT that won’t build with the default master branch. Instead you need to git checkout the viatools-updates branch of that, I think it was Steve or Russel pointing that out, and THEN the whole thing builds :slight_smile:

I’m still on macOS 10.12 (Sierra) but an upgrade to Catalina is becoming more and more pressing because more and more things are leaving it behind.

2 Likes