Starling Via Modules

Never seen that before. I would start over with a clean repo. Follow the steps I gave in the posts above.

seems some github gremlins today as @flyingLow also hit this today, so I shall retry tomorrow to see if that works again. Too many weirs things with cloning from github today for my taste, but thanks for the willingness to help. Appreciated!

Sadly still same public key error, so no dice. And cannot find online how to make git forget whatever public key it’s using that doesn’t work anyhow…

here the same issue, on Win 10, it doesn’t build properly.

I tried all steps mentioned above.

also here on Linux

also here on Mac.

Hope this is the right place…

i was working with GATESEQ (latest Rack2 build) and found that PTN I and PTN II are outputting the incorrect amount of gates in Euclidean mode. I’m not sure about the other modes but I assume they aren’t as well.

Please open an issue here: Issues ¡ starlingcode/Via-for-Rack ¡ GitHub giving as much detail as possible, including a demo patch if you can, showing the behaviour you mention.

Done.

Thanks

So I tried to build this and get the same mysterious error on git submodule update as below. Never seen that before:

$ git clone -b v2 'https://github.com/starlingcode/Via-for-Rack.git'
Cloning into 'Via-for-Rack'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 2090, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (1156/1156), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (386/386), done.
remote: Total 2090 (delta 809), reused 1109 (delta 768), pack-reused 934
Receiving objects: 100% (2090/2090), 2.42 MiB | 2.05 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (1486/1486), done.

lab@Lars-iMac:~/Source/rackdev/plugins
$ cd Via-for-Rack/

lab@Lars-iMac:~/Source/rackdev/plugins/Via-for-Rack
$ git branch
* v2

$ make clean
rm -rfv build plugin.dylib dist

$ git submodule update --init --recursive
Submodule 'Via' (git@github.com:starlingcode/Via.git) registered for path 'Via'
Cloning into '/Users/lab/Source/rackdev/plugins/Via-for-Rack/Via'...
The authenticity of host 'github.com (140.82.121.3)' can't be established.
ECDSA key fingerprint is SHA256:p2QAMXNIC1TJYWeIOttrVc98/R1BUFWu3/LiyKgUfQM.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'github.com,140.82.121.3' (ECDSA) to the list of known hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
fatal: clone of 'git@github.com:starlingcode/Via.git' into submodule path '/Users/lab/Source/rackdev/plugins/Via-for-Rack/Via' failed
Failed to clone 'Via'. Retry scheduled
Cloning into '/Users/lab/Source/rackdev/plugins/Via-for-Rack/Via'...
Permission denied (publickey).
fatal: Could not read from remote repository.

Please make sure you have the correct access rights
and the repository exists.
fatal: clone of 'git@github.com:starlingcode/Via.git' into submodule path '/Users/lab/Source/rackdev/plugins/Via-for-Rack/Via' failed
Failed to clone 'Via' a second time, aborting

Looking at that submodule definition in .gitmodules:

[submodule "Via"]
	path = Via
	url = git@github.com:starlingcode/Via.git

I think I know what’s wrong. They copied the SSH URI of the Via repository into the submodule definition, but the repository has no public keys in it, and anyway you wouldn’t know what it is. That’s why we get the key-errors, it’s trying to use SSH and failing. Instead it should have said:

url = https://github.com/starlingcode/Via.git

for an ordinary HTTPS URL.

Anyways, instead trying:

$ git clone 'https://github.com/starlingcode/Via.git'
Cloning into 'Via'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 1055, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (58/58), done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (40/40), done.
remote: Total 1055 (delta 36), reused 37 (delta 18), pack-reused 997
Receiving objects: 100% (1055/1055), 660.06 KiB | 4.96 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (746/746), done.

Now the Via subdirectory gets populated.

Then doing:

$ make -j2
c++  -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++  -DBUILD_VIRTUAL -I./Via/modules/inc -I./Via/synthesis/inc -I./Via/io/inc -I./Via/ui/inc  -fPIC -I/Users/lab/Source/rackdev/Rack-SDK/include -I/Users/lab/Source/rackdev/Rack-SDK/dep/include -MMD -MP -g -O3 -march=nehalem -funsafe-math-optimizations -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -DARCH_MAC -mmacosx-version-min=10.9  -c -o build/src/gateseq.cpp.o src/gateseq.cpp
c++  -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++  -DBUILD_VIRTUAL -I./Via/modules/inc -I./Via/synthesis/inc -I./Via/io/inc -I./Via/ui/inc  -fPIC -I/Users/lab/Source/rackdev/Rack-SDK/include -I/Users/lab/Source/rackdev/Rack-SDK/dep/include -MMD -MP -g -O3 -march=nehalem -funsafe-math-optimizations -Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused-parameter -DARCH_MAC -mmacosx-version-min=10.9  -c -o build/src/meta.cpp.o src/meta.cpp
src/gateseq.cpp:19:60: error: no member named 'currentAPattern' in 'DualEuclidean'
                if (gateseqModule->virtualModule.sequencer.currentAPattern[i]) {
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^
src/gateseq.cpp:119:60: error: no member named 'currentBPattern' in 'DualEuclidean'
                if (gateseqModule->virtualModule.sequencer.currentBPattern[i]) {
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^
src/gateseq.cpp:361:24: error: no matching constructor for initialization of 'ViaGateseq'
    Gateseq() : Via(), virtualModule(asset::plugin(pluginInstance, "res/gateseqpatterns.bin")) {
                       ^             ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
./Via/modules/inc/gateseq.hpp:259:7: note: candidate constructor (the implicit copy constructor) not viable: no known conversion from 'std::string'
      (aka 'basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> >') to 'const ViaGateseq' for 1st argument
class ViaGateseq : public TARGET_VIA {
      ^
./Via/modules/inc/gateseq.hpp:259:7: note: candidate constructor (the implicit move constructor) not viable: no known conversion from 'std::string'
      (aka 'basic_string<char, char_traits<char>, allocator<char> >') to 'ViaGateseq' for 1st argument
./Via/modules/inc/gateseq.hpp:516:2: note: candidate constructor not viable: requires 0 arguments, but 1 was provided
        ViaGateseq() : gateseqUI(*this) {
        ^
src/gateseq.cpp:447:23: error: no member named 'readPatternsFromFile' in 'ViaGateseq'
        virtualModule.readPatternsFromFile(patternsPath);
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^
src/gateseq.cpp:666:39: error: no member named 'readPatternsFromFile' in 'ViaGateseq'
                module->virtualModule.readPatternsFromFile(pathC);
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ^
5 errors generated.
make: *** [build/src/gateseq.cpp.o] Error 1
make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

So no dice when trying to build current v2 source against 2.0 SDK.

check github, I reported latest make failure an hour ago

Go to the Via folder and do git checkout viatools-updates

Go back up a level and make clean && make dist

2 Likes

Yup, that works! Seems there’s a few things missing from their build explanation, plus the SSH submodule thing.

yessss! Finally it works, how do you knew about that?

Trial and error probably :slight_smile:

oh yes, there were so much trials and as many errors :grin:

1 Like

Those are modules that I keep a close eye on since their release. Sometimes you can have a funky build thing going on when you have a firmware submodule.