Squinky Labs Announcements. Updates to Sequencer, and bug fixes in 1.0.6

While we are waiting for Rack V1.0 to come out, we thought we would remind people why they should try our modules. So, starting with the VCO’s, we are going to do a big sell job.

Functional VCO-1 is a near exact copy of the Fundamental VCO-1, but it uses less that 1/4 of the CPU that Fundamental VCO-1 uses.

Chebyshev is our take on a harmonic VCO, but adding FM and wave-shaping, and tons more features. It uses very little CPU.

EV3 is a near exact copy of the Befaco EvenVCO. We put three in one module, and all three together use less CPU that EvenVCO. We implemented Oscillator sync, which is not operational on Even. Then we added some handy normaled patch connections and a semitone pitch control.

Saws is a very accurate emulation of the famous Super Saw VCO from the Roland JP-8000. It accurately emulates the controls, and even the aliasing grunge of the original. The only thing we added is a control to reduce the grunge, if desired

Details can be found in the instruction manual: https://github.com/squinkylabs/SquinkyVCV/blob/master/docs/booty-shifter.md

9 Likes

:+1: Good stuff!

I was messing about with your tremelo on stream about half an hour ago. gooooooooood.

I’m glad you like it. It was originally a VST, written about 8 years ago. We always liked it a lot - other people said making a Tremolo is a bloring idea. Have you seen Artem’s video about it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYeEKPMYDoA&t=177s

2 Likes

One of the best collection of module ever!
EV3 made my patches so much easier!! if anything had to be added, a volume knob and cv for each osc would be nice to have a fine blend :slight_smile:

what a shameless selfpromotion :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (just kidding)

you need no promotion imho, the modules are superb and should speak for themself,
I use them a lot and can only recommend them to anyone.

I like the EV3 and Chebyshev, they sound great,
but I also like the LFN and the Shaper very much
and graycode is great for some randomness

Do you mean that you wish there was a volume control for the individual outs? Because of course there are volume controls, but they only affect the mixed volume. Maybe the individual outs should be “post fader”?

Thanks, that’s very kind. To tell you the truth, I find that if Squinky Labs “goes quiet” for too long, you stop seeing the modules in peoples videos. And there always new VCV users coming along to indoctrinate :wink:

sorry, there is indeed volume knobs, cv control of those knobs would be awesome for complex drones with only one output :slight_smile: (I know, vcv users will always ask cv control for the one thing you didn’t put a cv in … sorry :wink:
About the pre/post fader issue, I never questioned it but, now that you mention it, the position of the knobs let think that they would also affect the individual outputs

You need a SquinkyLabs blank panel Bruce :wink:

3 Likes

Version 0.6.15 is now available in the plugin manager. It includes three new modules : Stairway, Mixer-8, and Slade.

Stairway is a ladder filter with an enormous range of over-driven and clean sounds. Combines features from Moog, Oberheim, and Rossum filters and adds some some of our own, including four independent wave shapers.

Mixer-8 is our clone of the AS 8-CH mixer, with more features and 1/10 the CPU usage. Among the added features are solo, effects send, and anti-pop. Has CV control of mute.

Slade has eight identical channels of lag/anti-pop/envelope generator/VCA. Very low CPU, as always.

Direct link to the instruction manual for each module is available from the context menu (right click on the module).

Shaper is now stereo.

Buttons now only active on primary (left) button press.

Increased the LFO outputs from Chopper to five volts.

Fixed a typo on the LFN panel graphic.

8 Likes

Wait, am I going nutso-strangeo or did I see somewhere that you were doing a phasor? Because I wouldn’t want to be looking forward to something that doesn’t exist.
edit: thanks for the modules and particularly for updating us about them in the forums.

Great new modules ! Thanks.

The manual link for the mixer is going to:

https://github.com/squinkylabs/SquinkyVCV/blob/sq6s/docs/mix8.md

Instead of:

Sorry folks, don’t know how to get rid of the preview.

1 Like

Thanks Bruce! Another great release. Stairway is great… a lot of fun playtime with that one ahead :slight_smile:

Yeah stairway sounds fantastic, thank you.

A little sound taster from the new Stairway filter… I really like it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, no, although I do love a good phasor. One of the frequency responses in Stairway is called “Phasor”, following the naming of the Mutable Instruments filter, but it is more like a lowpass with a notch or something.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll fix that. There has been a lot of shuffling of links. I think git is telling that the same version of the documents is at that url, but of course it should be fixed.

Thank you! It’s been a lot of work to tame this crazy filter and make it sound good. Many thanks to the testers who kept pushing to make it better, and fix many terrible things that it was doing earlier on.

2 Likes

That is a really strong sound. I don’t think I can take full credit for that :wink: