Squinktronix Development Blog

Harmony II is now in the library. There is an announcement with a link to a demo video. Demo is here:

6 Likes

I have a new module up for test. It’s called “Visualizer”. It’s a chord visualizer, of course. Screen shot below should be pretty self explanatory.

The test release is here

A preliminary manual is here

8 Likes

I like this visualizer (and you know it), it’s nice looking and it can be useful for ear training sessions!

some 7ths are missing (there are 7 tertian 7ths in total Seventh chord - Wikipedia) can’t help with 9ths, sorry

my suggestions:

1. consider horizontal spacing of the accidentals. on D# F# A# the sharps are overlapping (Musescore has excellent engraving skills to take a look at, I don’t remember if you use it)
  2. let us choose between flats and sharps, PLEASE :smiley: for my studies’ sake (C D# G is very hard to watch, and not comprehensive in a tonic environement)
  3. eliminate ionian/dorian and so on, it adds only confusion IMHO

Thank you!

So, if I can summarize your requests and comment on them:

1. It is clearly true that Visualizer does not recognize any seventh chords that do not have a perfect fifth. While I doubt many users of VCV care about these chords, it does seem like something that I could add without too much difficulty.

2. Yes, stacked accidentals can run into each other. While this module will never be nearly as good at scoring as a dedicated engraving program (!), It’s something I can consider. You can “cheat”, of course, by selecting a different key signature. See examples below.

3. Yes, the enharmonic spelling is not great. I am unsure, however, what you are requesting. Is it a) allow setting of each note separately for harp/flat? b) have a global override that would force all accidentals to be spelled with sharps or flats? c) since it currently picks sharps in a sharp key and flats in a flat key, do you want to be able to specify what to do in a “no accidentals” key, like C Major? d) are you requesting that it “just be smarter” with enharmonic spelling? (just for experimentation, you can see what happens if you specify a different key signature. For example your chord would be C E- G in C minor.

4. I will not eliminate the other diatonic modes.

Most important - what do you consider the priority of these enhancements? If I can’t do all of them (and I can’t!).

Thanks again!

oops - I forgot the images before!

if there’s no sharps, put the first sharp here.
if there’s one sharp, put the second sharp here and move the first one a little bit on the left.
and so on…
that’s just what seems to me as a simple suggestion, not asking for correct semiography, even if that would be not that complicated.

a) no, that would be a nightmare
b) maybe it works, it seems easy and functional
c) yes, that would be smart
d) that would be the best scenario

if it can help you thinking:
basic chords (triads and sevenths) are made ONLY by minor and major 3rds
major 3rd + minor 3rd = major chord
minor 3rd + major 3rd = minor chord
minor 3rd + minor 3rd = diminished chord (triad, not to be confused with the seventh chord)
major 3rd + major 3rd = augmented chord
this is why the notes in the C chords are ALWAYS C E G (there are no A D F, at least in a triad or in a seventh) and you will never find C D# G
the first note (tonic) is the one that cannot change, so C is always C
E can be Eb or E
G can be Gb or G or G#

I know this is modular and not an harmony course, but that staff is so nice looking :smiley:
the choise is yours…[cit.]

LOL I was looking for some real estate to put the input midi note numbers somewhere :broccoli:

you’re welcome :wink:

1 Like

unfortunate example, because in D# minor (crazy choice) the leading note is C##. I’m running away now, tomorrow I’ll take a look to what happens if you play a D natural, that should be a C##

btw, I do know a little bit more music theory than Visualizer does :wink: I know those chords aren’t spelled correctly. The trick is to (perhaps) find something easy/doable that will improve this a lot. I know how triads “should” be spelled, but that display is just showing everything coming in, which is usually not just a triad. Perhaps there is an easy algorithm that will work for many cases (like stacked triads to make 3,4,5 note chords…

sure, I just see the task as a musician first!

since this module perfectly recognizes the chord (with inversions) I would force it to output (i.e. when recognizing C major):
Eb instead of D#
Gb instead of F#
G# instead of Ab

dont’ know if it’s doable at the moment

1 Like

It sounds like an interesting challenge. I’ll see how far I get…

2 Likes

I re-wrote the enharmonic spelling stuff. It seemed like a fun challenge. Also I didn’t realize how horrified people would be who read music!

I’m going on a camping trip, but I’ll be able to put out another test build sometime next week.

2 Likes