Soo, I'm craving a hardware synth, but it's complicated

Hmm this thread has got me GASing for a Digitone now. I could sell my Minilogue XD and more or less cover the cost of a new Digitone. Think I’m a little disappointed in the XD - you can certainly get some nice sounds out of it and there are lots of presets, but i’m not vibing with it. And I really don’t like the sequencer at all. I wonder if the deeper possibilities of the DT along with an emphasis on FM rather than the analog approach of the XD might be the answer?

Hydrasynth is an amazing synth on it’s own with all the modulation capabilities/poly aftertouch, and per video below it could be a really nice midi controller for Rack. Plus they just came out with the low price point Explorer version which is battery powered for couch wiggling (or on the opposite side the Deluxe if you’re super fancy). No seq though.

1 Like

I love my Digitone (DN in elektron-slang, the DT is short for the Digitakt), but a subtractive analog is a very nice addition to it. You could always use the Digitone to sequence your minilogue xd, so maybe save up for both? The digitone has a very unique sound, but don’t try to get a pure saw-wave out of it…

I have the ‘standard’ model and one of the firmware updates provided a way to use an LFO with semitone divided step sequencing which you can use to target oscillator pitch and so is a rudimentary sequencer. It’s slow to set up though.

1 Like

Have you considered Make Noise Strega?

1 Like

Oh, haha, right after ordering (a Microfreak, eventually) I should have deleted this thread from my memory :slight_smile: That’s on the list for the next bout of hardware acquisition!

1 Like

I have a Microfreak myself, it’s pretty fun. Nice sequencer/arpeggiator on it and I like its odd keyboard.

1 Like

Just reporting a Happy End here: I’ve had it for 36 hours now, so far played it on the sofa, into VCV with reverb and sent a random 8-step sequence to it and… I made a few skank faces throughout this (preliminary) journey :heart_eyes:

3 Likes