[SOLVED] Is it possible to lock/sync the VCV SCOPE to exactly one clock cycle to have a phase lock function?

Well you are using a seq not a clock but…

You don’t need the merge and sum and all those individual outs from seq3

Try using the same gate out you are using for the envelope for the ext scope input

2 Likes

I am going bonkers… now it works. Strange. I swear it didn’t before. Ok that helped me a lot understanding the signal flow.

Since I am going to use SEQ-3 anyway I can live with that.

Great - glad you got it sorted.

I really would recommend adding a clock to your patch though and then driving both Seq3 and the Scope input from that.

Your patch works now because all the 8 step gates are on on Seq3 - if you start turning gates off (as you may well want to do for rests in your sequence), that will mean the Scope is no longer getting a steady stream of pulses.

Also if you want to add another sequencer, driving both from the same clock will ensure they are in time with each other.

If you look at patches people post here and on Facebook, you’ll see 90%+ of them include a Clock - its like the engine of a patch. Impromptu Clocked is a great one.

1 Like

I intend to do that down the line anyway, but no mansion is built without foundation.

Also I intend to develop my own clock module, since I don’t like the UI/UX of the third party modules. I wish VCV made more modules in the same minimalistic theme. The different 3rd party front planes out there are utterly confusing and distracting for me.

Things that do the same should look the same. Like inputs or outputs jacks and their labels.

If you want a really basic VCV clock, just use the square wave output of LFO-2 (wave knob fully to the right). The frequency knob then controls the speed of the clock. No nice extras like BPM display etc like you get on Clocked though.

Well VCV is a Eurorack simulator - and you’ve seen hardware Eurorack modules right? Each manufacturer has their own style and UI/UX etc. It’s the same in VCV.

1 Like

Yup I know… that’s why I hesitated so long before giving it a try, but that is also why I decided to start making my own modules… that is probably the reason why everyone is making their own modules and why there are so many different ones.

No. It might be one of many reasons why people make their own modules. But it’s certainly not the only reason.

yeah sure. I meant it is a driving factor to make your own modules. Because the one you want to have is not available.

1 Like

In fact I tried that but it is not working because the SCOPE wraps to the left if the gate output from LFO-2 is exceeding the observation window width. So you end up having a wandering gate.

But your other response was the solution already, so thanks for that.

That’s certainly true enough.

Also worth bearing in mind that some Eurorack manufactures (like Instruo, Befaco, Alright Devices etc) have exact (or as near as can be) copies of their hardware modules in VCV - something that would not be possible if everything looked the same.

1 Like

I think the issue there is your ‘clock’ frequency is very slow and you have nothing going into the Y input of the scope. Try it like this - here I have the LFO-2 generating consistent clock pulses and the Seq3 has some rests. Clock pulse always starts on left of the scope.

1 Like

It’s certainly true that the fundamental scope will trigger itself if nothing else triggers it for a while. I believe it’s after half a second.

This is by design, but when looking at slower clock rates, that might be undesirable.

Many of the scopes in VCVRack do the same

1 Like

This is a very useful feature indeed - often want a clear look at the transient that is hard to see when it is butted up against the edge of the scope. I’ve longed for something like this on the otherwise excellent Opsylloscope where the knobs and inputs cover the start of the scope - grrrr

BTW, another useful application would be if I could sample and hold that whole SCOPE cycle, so I wouldn’t need a clock, but only a simple gate, which then would basically loop over itself until you release the Tap. Reason is that you can tweak Delay and Reverb much better, if there is only one pulse in the observation window. Also I want to use this for non periodic rhythms.

1 Like

Again, the submarine EN-104 module might do what you want. It has a one-shot mode, which might be what you are looking for.