Solo guitar patch

Is it possible to emulate the solo electric guitar by Eurorack modules from scratch?

1 Like

theoretically you can emulate whatever you want, Do you know the Dexter Synth, tha open source synth can load DX7 patches? some patches can reproduce many guitar timbres, load some and use the patch as reference

1 Like

In my opinion the best way would be using a sine wave and distorting it, XFX modules are very good to get “guitar like distortion”. I’m sure i’ve done that a few times already :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d suggest using a Karplus-Strong module and add some distortion, but I’m not sure if this will give you something useful.

3 Likes

thanks! i thought about this way, but guitar string sound has a lot of “artifacts”, i mean it’s not constant in sound ) may be i will have to create more than one sine wave, may be i should use some vibrato effect… )

1 Like

thank you, i will try it )

I think this is a good idea – I’ve gotten some nice guitar-modeling results with distortion + KS synthesis or, equivalently, a tuned comb filter. (I like using a comb filter since it allows you more latitude for how you excite it.) You could also try the Audible Instruments resonator.

I don’t know if there’s an amp modeler in VCV but if there is, I would recommend adding it at the end of the chain.

3 Likes

Yes, in my album one of the tracks has Resonator in 4-poly mode, where i give it a trig, then various notes, and it gives a guitar sound as if you were tapping the fretboard after a strum, with some disto after, it could sound like a solo ! Might be interesting to explore that more

2 Likes

would you let me listen to your track?

1 Like

I’ve actually been playing with the distortion effect in surge quite a lot lately, mostly in the context of the proper VST implementation, but using my cruddy KS implementation in the bacon music plugs and the (nice) wave shaper and distortion effects in surge I was able to get something pretty power chord sounding sort of. Following @stoermelder idea about using karplus strong and distortion, you can get something pretty OK. And again, the baconmusic KS implementation is pretty weak.

Distortion.vcv (11.0 KB)

Of course putting the delay before the distortion may also be smart. And the chorus is just to sort of warm it up a bit but is pretty optiona.

2 Likes

I managed to get a pretty good metal style riff using geodesics Energy. I was pretty sure I knew what i was doing but I can’t repeat it. Something to do with emulating the way the strings go slightly out of tune when you riff.

3 Likes

Sure !

The track is the number 4, “Let’s enjoy the view”. I wasn’t really going for a guitar tone, but i used this “tapping trick” :slight_smile: I was quite happy with the result, as it reminded me a bit of some Math Rock band i like ^^

2 Likes

So I tried to emulate a guitar solo, but a bit different :wink:

may I apologize for my inability to do better

2 Likes

Hey David, I know it’s been quite a while but can you give me a general direction on how to get your sound? I really love the growly aggression behind it.

hola! (sorry for the delay)

I have not that patch, it is a kind of generative djent patch, it is not complicated , I did it when I was just beginning to understand synthesizers (I’m not saying that I understand them now) , I used a noise to drive a sample and hold, I think the main thing to quantize is scalar, getting the “slide” using an slew limiter , the irregular spacing is due a bernoulli gate

for the voice I used the incubus it use a noxious oscillator , it is a very rich oscillator , you must have flame in your patch, this is mandatory

the VCV parametra is driven by cv to give the crispy movement

2 Likes

Adding a slew limiter and a Flame to my guitar patch really improved it. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like