Simple Piano Emulation

I started playing with Bacon Music’s “KaprlusStrongPoly” module, and came up with this minimal patch that sounds surprisingly good (considering how few modules it uses).

Let’s see… KarplusStrongPoly module settings (starting from initialized state): Freq = 0 // Packet = NOISYSAW // Filter A= 0.5 (you cannot change the “WGT 1SAM” thing, and according to the author, B and C don’t do anything yet) // Atten = 1.

Cranking A up to 1 makes it twangier, like a harpsichord or spinet.

VCF module settings: Center/cutoff frequency = 126 Hz (or leave it at the default 1 kHz to make it brighter) // MODE - LP (but do try BP for fun) // RES/BW = 0% // SLOPE = 1.5 (but try anywhere from 1 to 2 as well)

BTW - The KaprlusStrongPoly also makes a nice hammered dulcimer / santour / cymbalom sort of thing too, by raising or lowering “A” and reducing Atten. Still working on a Celtic Harp sound.

3 Likes

I added dampening on release and velocity to your patch. Here’s mine:

1 Like

Now I really wish I could find my MIDI interface. I know it’s around here . . . somewhere.

New version here because I’m not done trying to improve this. Basal+Slap x3 for the sound source because the output is softer. Velocity control which kind of works, and reverb which is set to resonate more at lower frequencies. I had a go at using the EQ and it sounds better with it but I don’t know what I’m doing with that really. No video because the VCV recorder module hasn’t appeared yet for v2.0

Set for sustain to work by holding the keys down. It still sounds a bit tinny at the top but the lower sounds have a nice growl.

Yay! I found it! It was an M-Audio “UNO”.

But I was searching for a firewire cable at the time.

1 Like