Shared place for hardware - VCV Rack equivalents

Hi! I was trying to recreate a fixed rack in VCV, inspired by an eurorack system, so I started to add some ported modules (from Befaco or Grayscale for example) then I started to search for alternatives to eurorack modules not present in VCV… Sometimes it’s easy enough, sometimes a convoluted workaround is needed, reading the manual of the module and trying to recreate the functions with VCV modules available.

I was wondering: what if there was a place, a site, a list pinned in this community, a shared Google sheet, where one can look for equivalents from vcv to eurorack and the other way around?

For example if someone looks for “Befaco Rampage” equivalent in eurorack coming from VCV will find out that there’s exactly the same module with the same name. Looking for “Audible Instruments Texture Synthesizer” one will find that there’s an eurorack module called “Clouds” from Mutable Instruments. And if someone looks for a VCV Rack alternative for an eurorack module when there isn’t a direct equivalent maybe a workaround is proposed, using few available modules to implement the same functionality.

What do you guys think?

PS: all of this because I can’t get a viable Intellijel Quadratt module in VCV Rack :smile: please help?!

You are looking for VCV 8Vert. Edit: Nope! Normalizes downwards, but does not mix, sorry.

Audible Instruments, Quad VC-Polarizer, but only bipolar.

Interesting Idea, I quite like the research to look up a hardware-module, learn what it does and then look vor a VCV-equivalent, but for new users it might be helpful.

This Google Sheet is quite old but may still be useful!

VCV rack module clones and emulations (and inspirations…)

Thank you!

Hi @CarloFavero! It’s not quite the same as a bidirectional sheet, but I wanted to make sure you knew about the “Hardware Clone” tag in the VCV Library , which should get you to most of these. The VCV Library links to ModularGrid, and ModularGrid also has back-links to some of them, though it’s not at all easy to see (look way down and to the right for a VCV logo; if you see it, it’ll take you to the library).

I don’t know if there’s anything that’s an exact equivalent of Quadratt (and note that exact copies of functionality and panel layout aren’t allowed without permission from in this case Intellijel) but if you want a hardware clone that will get you there (actually farther), consider dropping in a couple of these:

(which contains an example of the ModularGrid cross-link, by the way)

plus a standard unity mixer like

1 Like

I was trying the 8vert but I noticed the same problem, I’ll try the quad VC polariser, thank you!

I think that trying to figure out the workarounds for non available modules in vcv is a fun and educational process, but if you use vcv to learn-by-doing modules which otherwise would be expensive I think would be nice to have a reference instead of learning the manual inside out for the eurorack module AND for all the modules that might fit the job.

1 Like

Thank you @gc3 ! The unity mixer is the “cascading” part which was missing!

What you’ve done is exactly what I meant. I think that would be useful to have a bunch of “workaround” solutions for things like this. In this case it helped me understand better what a unity mixer is and how to use it!

I wasn’t aware of the cross links in modulargrid, but I guess that solves the “easy” part of the task. The hard part would be doing what you’ve done here, but for all the modules not present in VCV. It means contribute trying to find solutions combining vcv modules to have kind of the same functionality set as hardware modules and then share them in a common place.

Thought it would be useful.

Thank you again for the help!

1 Like

Awesome–glad that helped!

Unity mixers are great, but the useful thing about the Quadratt/Veils/etc. pattern of normalizing down is that you don’t have to keep repatching things over. (A*B+C already does this, but only between the two blocks).

Agree that a more written-out bidirectional guide would be interesting and very useful. Even modules that couldn’t be implemented directly (like WMD SL3KT, which has a bi-directional signal path that’s impossible in Rack, because Rack ports have to be either in or out) can pretty much always be functionally equaled one way or the other!