Sha#Bang! modules updates

I think so, though since I don’t fully understand the intended behavior, I can’t be sure.

I couldn’t make any sense out of the 2 PPQN setting, so that is the most suspect.

I should think that each cell would represent a quarter note, so the PPQN would specify the number of pulses to advance to the next cell (assuming all the Rate ratios are 1:1). But the empirical rate I see is twice as fast - divide the PPQN by 2 to get the number of pulses to advance to the next cell. (Again, ignoring 2 PPQN which seems to be totally broken)

The 2 ppqn does seem to not work. I thought I had fixed this a while ago with a different module but I guess not. However, the other ppqn’s work as expected for me. If it’s 4 ppqn it takes 4 pulses to advance to the next cell, and so on. Not sure why it wouldn’t be working correctly unless you had changed the ratios or something. Did you try hitting reset to see if that helped?

For the keyboard issue, command+click will be perfect !

For my question, i understand that for the UI it will be confuse.

Not matter i will still use my tricks (a bernouilli gate and a burst module) after StochSeqGrid . I also will try to put StochSeq after StochSeqGrid maybe it can achieve what i want !

And yes, an another knob will be perfect !

I also notice some strange behaviour with the clock. What i did to get it sync to another clock, is to put a basic clock (like Clocked without PPQN modification), then select 24PPQN on StochSeqGrid, and finally multiply the sequencer time by 24. With the reset, all is sync !

thanks you again for your work, i really enjoy your modules !

I think it was the auto start/stop feature that was confusing me. I think I was running an LFO at a rate where each pulse took longer than the auto stop detection. Once I accelerate the rate high enough (but not to high to count), then I see that each cell represents 1 quarter note as expected.

I’m not convinced the auto start/stop is a good idea. It limits how slow you can run the clock significantly. I think I prefer a trigger to toggle start/stop, separate from the clock signal.

It has a timeout which is a constant. I could easily make it like 150% or so of the current input bpm so that if it was slowed down it would adjust.

So the current PPQN cycle length would always be the time delta between the most recent two clock pulses? And if no pulse within 150% of that delta, then the clock turns off? That could work in that it would support arbitrarily slow rates.

But there are other limitations with the auto start/stop design.

• There is no way to prevent unwanted subdivision pulses after the last pulse. In other words the user has only crude control over the stop point.
  • Most sequencers have an independent start/stop feature that provides a mechanism to ignore incoming clock pulses until you want the sequencer to actually start. Obviously that feature is missing with the auto start/stop. That could be important if using an LFO as an external clock, as the LFO does not have its own stop capability. The user would have to add a mute or switch module.

The external clock was modeled after the way Impromptu modules uses their external clock inputs and they use an auto start/stop. I can see benefits of both the auto on or having the run button override external clocks. A context menu option to select either one would probably be the best option.

1 Like

PLUG ALERT!

I make these modules for free, in my spare time, and because I enjoy the creativity involved with coding these ideas and sharing them with the community. If you enjoy using these modules please find it in your heart to sponsor this project on Github. After all It is February and Valentine’s Day will soon be upon us :heartpulse:

Or give me all/some of your money through Paypal:

2 Likes

The latest Sha#Bang! v2.1.1 update now includes memory banks with the Stochastic Sequencer. You can switch between them with a CV input as well. StochSeq manual

11 Likes

i love this one and the 4 channel one, but i noticed something that i dont know if it would be hard to implament, or if it is just overlooked, but: when you change the sliders, or the range both in the right-click menu and using the scale knob, it doesnt update in real time. so you have to feed it a clock to come back around only to find that the value is not the desired one… that fix would be lovely (edit: this might be pushing it, but diffrent runmodes is also an idea)

Sorry, for some reason I never saw this message. I don’t really understand what you’re saying, everything seems change and output in real time as far as I can tell.

I think JEP wants to use a workflow where you advance to a step, and then tune the slider to get the note you want, then advance to the next step and repeat.

Your stochastic sequencers do not support this workflow because they effectively sample the CV voltage when the step is entered and keep it fixed throughout the length of the step - adjusting the step slider while the step is active has no effect. To hear the change you must cycle through all the steps and re-enter the step in question.

I think the suggestion of a different run mode is in case the behavior is necessary to the function of the stochastic nature. You could add a context menu option to temporarily disable the stochastic behavior to simplify the process of “tuning” the pattern.

1 Like

Ok gotcha, that makes sense. I think it should be possible to fix without an extra run mode. I’ll work on it after this new update coming soon.

1 Like

There’s a new update to Sha#Bang! coming soon that’s v2.2.1. There will be a new addition to the Photron family which is just a small PhotronStrip with some extra modes like a full color or just a strip color that pulses.

1 Like

Also, you can draw some on the Photron and PhotronPanel…it randomizes some of the colors where you draw which can have an affect on the way the color flocking behaves.

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 10.42.26 PM

Additionally, the photrons will act as expanders to each other in order to blend their colors: Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 10.46.53 PM

7 Likes

And inspired by my recent trip to NYC and street artist Invader’s works near where I stayed, I added some other goodies to Photron like this.

7 Likes

This is very nice! I tend to add more Photron than sound making modules. :blush:

2 Likes

Sha#Bang! modules now have dark panels! Update to v2.2.2

13 Likes

:+1: