Set Probability of Note Playing

Oh wow, that’s very cool!

I feel a little bit bad now, because I didn’t want to make you do anything or imply that your module should be able to do anything that it didn’t :slight_smile:

But this does seems like a great addition to your module and expand it’s functionality in a very nice way. I love it and am very happy that you and others like you contribute so much to make Rack truly great!

I fear the OP might have suffered information overload and run away by now :smiley: But there’s much inspiring information in this thread for future experiments, so I’m sure it will help someone.

There’s Bitwise from me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

And there is VCV Core. I love this logic challenges while drinking coffee on a [sunday] friday morning. That way I can fiddle with VCV-Rack without annoying my wife :wink:

Here is the Solution with only VCV Modules:

• LFO-1 [1] → Clock
  • SEQ-3 → First Row: Main Sequence / Second Row: Alternative Sequence / Third Row: Set “Use Probability” [on/off] for that step.
  • RANDOM [1] → Modulates the Frequency for LFO-1 [2] which Square-Wave is then used by by the next RANDOM [2] to get a +5 or -5V signal, which is then summed with itself in the following UNITY to get +10/-10V signals. These are used to drive the two VCAs [1+2], which are switching between row 1 and row 2 of the SEQ-3.
  • 8VERT → just used to get constant -10V
  • UNITY [2] → Used to switch between the main sequence and the random sequence, controlled by row 3.
  • VCA [5] → 10% to get just one octave, quantized by QNT and then played by VCO-1

Probability Note.vcv (15.2 KB)

Ok, but where is the probability percentage? It is the pulse width of LFO-1 [2].

But, unfortunately it is not “exact” - 75% PW is more like 66% and 1% is more like 2%:

I don’t know if this is due to the lack of true randomness or if the PW of the LFO is not true to the value…

Anyway, here is the “Proof-Patch” as well, if someone wants to check for errors:

Probability Note Proof.vcv (25.6 KB)

• mo
2 Likes

that seems so much harder than just using something designed for the problem, but ok :wink:

It is harder then “using” something that is designed for the task, but not harder than “finding” a module in the first place… Since the thread starter was looking for a solution for a uni assignment, maybe a solution with the core-modules is a good alternative to a single-module-solution. And, it was fun to build :wink:

1 Like

Was playing with this last night. Superb addition to the library. Cheers!

1 Like