SEQ-3 right-click menu: switching between trigger\gate

Hi all,

I recently happened on a pic in the facebook group showing the context menu of SEQ-3, which to my surprise had options to switch the outputs between gate and trigger. That’s a feature I’ve missed sorely but I haven’t found anything related here in the forum or in the github discussions. Was that picture just a feature proposal or was it there already and has been removed for some reason? I think it would be extremely useful, no? I managed to create a workaround with fundamental devices once, but struggled with timing issues.

So, does anyone have any info or advice on this?
Thanks, Zwerg Nase

That was old behavior. The new behavior is to pass through the clock gate to the current step output.

OK, but why was it removed? Is there an obvious way to transform a gate signal into triggers that I missed?

Yes, use a clock trigger instead of gates. It was removed because this is the correct behavior of Eurorack sequencers.

Ah, I see. When you need both gates & trigger though, I just came up with an easy solution. Don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this earlier…
Either hard-sync a VCO-1 to the gate signal and use the square output with PCM set to 1% or do the same thing with an LFO-1 resetted by the gate signal. Requires some frequency adjustment though.

It’s a sort of a “what you give is what you get”. But if you still want to have both, you can use OctaTrig from ML to convert the gates to triggers… Let me know if it works for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! ML_modules looks like a very useful pack indeed.

2 Likes

Interesting thread, I came up against a case today in my research on how clocks and sequencers behave in modular, and this post seems to have a common point regarding re-triggers. (I get to re-triggers a bit further down in my comment)

I’m actually studying the impacts of a change in Clocked regarding what levels its clock outputs should be in, after resetting a stopped clock. I inevitably come to the conclusion that they must be high so that when we turn on run again (on the clock) at a later time, there will be no rising edge on those clocks that would trigger a sequential switch to immediately move to the next step (and missing the first one). This also makes Clocked behave more like an LFO, which starts off in a high state after reset. Here is the case that is well behaved if and only if Clocked resets its outputs high:

But with this new change, when connecting Clocked to a sequencer, if we reset a stopped Clocked and then start it up again, or even in the current version if we reset a running Clocked while its output is high, in such cases the gate of the 1st step (provided it is turned on) will not produce a trigger because it has stayed continually on. I am considering (and testing) an implicit re-trigger so that anytime a reset is received by the sequencer, it momentarily brings the GATE outputs low for 1ms and then the rest of the gate continues as normal. Although this might appear like a hack, it seems to be working very well so far, and it’s the only way I have found yet to get some good reset behavior out of my sequencers’ gates.

Just putting this out there in case anyone wants to discuss, or perhaps even to test the new version if interested.

1 Like

For those that want to try the Impromptu 0.6.14 pre-release builds, they are here.

I have implemented what is discussed above, and made some changes to the sequencers also, regarding run states and reset re-triggers. There are some other improvements:

• GateSeq64: right click can now be used to turn off steps more efficiently
  • PhraseSeqs and Foundry: CTRL-right-click on the keyboard not only enters the note and moves to the next step (existing behavior for right click), but with CTRL it also copies the note or gate-type over to the next step. Rotate values are now persistent and stored by the sequencer.
  • Foundry: better control over what gets written in the CV IN vs CV2 IN jacks (new button in expansion panel).

Any testing is much appreciated!

2 Likes