Separate MIDI-CV triggers by v/oct?

I’m looking for more tactile/exciting MIDI controllers for live performance, and I bought a Kat KTMP1 Drum Pad (manual here), hoping to use it like a big Akai LPD8—that each pad could send a separate trigger through the VCV Midi-CC module.

Instead, since it’s designed to work with a DAW drum kit, it’s more like a keyboard with four assignable notes. Instead I have to use VCV Midi-CV, and each hit triggers the one gate, and each pad changes the v/oct value.

Is there a good way to split/route triggers like this based on pitch? Is there a MIDI module that might do this on its own? I tried quantizing the pitch value to select one of four steps in an ML switch, but that’s very unreliable and has latency :confounded: .

Otherwise, suggestions for more appropriate trigger pad hardware? (Preferably in the same price range :sweat_smile:)

Yes, the MIDI-GATE module.

2 Likes

I have a wacky module that no-one uses. It’s called Polygate. It takes a polyphonic CV and Gate and outputs 8 mono gates. The gates are mapped to middle C and up, iirc.

1 Like

…and note that you can get it to output “gates” whose voltages carry the velocity of your hits by enabling “Velocity mode” on the context menu.

4 Likes

…wait, what??

:open_mouth:

…wow. Right under my nose! I feel silly. Thanks so much.

1 Like