Seeking feedback on "Looper" module

Hello - I wanted share my first Rack plugin called Lilac Loop. For now it includes a single module named Looper, a “simple multi-track looper with a pedal-like workflow”. It allows you to record, play and overdub a mono or polyphonic signal using a multi-function “toggle” control (analogous to a foot switch on a looper pedal).

I wanted to share it here before submitting to the VCV Library. I’m relatively new to Rack and C/C++ so any feedback would be appreciated. The README doc is the closest thing I have to a manual. The builds linked below are also attached to the v1.0.0 release on Github.

Thanks for reading. I hope you’ll try it!

Edit: it’s in the VCV Library now https://library.vcvrack.com/LilacLoop

9 Likes

I have some idea on sending “hold” like function - gate more than 2 seconds to re-record whole loop, would be useful when connecting sustain pedal to control the beast. Your idea is nice, ableton looper has some similar functionality too!

1 Like

Hi, welcome and congrats for your plugin! Prepare to be inundated with requests :slight_smile: I built it in Windows and it’s running smoothly, low CPU and nice compact package. My first thought it that there might be room to perhaps considering making it stereo, I think many people would appreciate this. Cheers!

2 Likes

hi Gavin and welcome,

@disquiet, as it is polyphonic stereo looping should be easy:

from the Readme:

Stereo and Multi-channel Recording

Although Looper works in mono by default, it’s capable of recording up to 16 tracks at once thanks to VCV Rack’s polyphonic cables. To record a multi-channel loop, connect a polyphonic cable to the input and toggle Record mode. Each polyphony voice will record to a dedicated internal channel and play back on the corresponding output channel. Use VCV’s Merge and Split modules to manage polyphony.

To record in stereo, simply use voices 1 & 2 of a polyphonic signal.

3 Likes

I like your idea and I am considering adding support for a “press and hold to undo” feature as a combination of two additional modules:

1. A more advanced looper module with extra features including an “undo” control
  2. A utility module that recognizes trigger/gate patterns like “hold” and “double tap” that would make a foot controller more useful in a looping context
1 Like

Thank you for referencing the doc. Here’s an example showing how stereo recording can be achieved with polyphony (although you would not hear any dry input signal with this patch).

2 Likes

I just downloaded https://github.com/grough/lilac-loop-vcv/releases/download/v1.0.0/LilacLoop-1.0.0-lin.zip in my plugins directory (I’m on Linux, so ~/.Rack/plugins-v1), then ran Rack, but the module doesn’t show up.

I just realized I uploaded a 32-bit Linux build by accident. Sorry about that. Replacement coming soon!

1 Like

Hello, Thanks for this new looper, Works fine here on Mac/Mojave, Fundamental Plugin as Stereo input ( via merge/split way) Always cool to have more looper’s ! :notes:

1 Like

I just tried the new Linux build and it runs fine, thanks!

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed it so far, good fun. Recorded a series of loops and then reset the looper every now and then. Cool module, nice try at it works so simply like a guitar loop pedal.

1 Like

Here are a few example patches for anyone interested. The plugin is available from the VCV Library now. Thanks all for the help with testing and feedback so far :slightly_smiling_face:

Stereo looping Lilac Looper Stereo Example | Patchstorage

Example patch showing how to record and loop a stereo input

Mono looping Lilac Looper Mono Example | Patchstorage

Example patch showing how to record and loop a mono input

Multi-track looping Lilac Looper Multi-Track Example | Patchstorage

Example patch showing how to record a multi-track loop

1 Like

This plugin has received its first update v1.0.1, not yet published on the library. The main changes are:

• New “Mix” control to balance live input and loop level - previously had to patch a mixer
  • Stereo input and output - previously supported with 2-channel polyphony but that was kind of confusing; new stereo ports are still polyphonic
  • Generally better behaved

Here are the builds if you’d like to try it:

3 Likes