Searching for knob->random 1/0 outputs

Hi,

Is there any available module (before making it :P) that can:

• select a seed value
  • let rotate a knob
  • at every knob position, seedly outputs value 1 or 0 random on (let say) 8 different outputs?

Thanks for let me know, if exist

Not sure about what you are trying to achieve with the knob. What is the definition of a position on the knob? For a given knob position you want the outputs to remain static? That seems odd.

When you talk about seed values, I think of a pseudo random number generator that creates a repeatable sequence of numbers. Each clock changes the value, and reset begins at the beginning of the sequence. That can support any number of outputs.

I remember at least 2 random sequencers with settable seed value (and I know there is at least one more that I cannot remember)

Frozen Wasteland Seeds of Change, and companion modules gives sequences of both on/off gates as well as CV values.

My Venom Rhythm Explorer will generate up to 8 gate sequences, but it requires a 24 ppqn clock. Set all 8 channels to the same division, and set the density of each to 50%.

Static 8(s) output values at each knob position (can be a snapped knob with 0/999 values range). No need of any sequence/loop.

And how would the seed value be used? Does every knob position represent a seed value, and each time the knob changes, the 8 ports are given the first 8 values from that seed sequence? What about polyphony - each port could have up to 16 channels each with its own value.

That certainly could be created, but I would love to understand the use case.

You are describing a 8x step sequencer advanced by knob turn. I imagine something DocB has will do something very close to what you are describing, like C42 with 8 play heads and the phase input could be a knob voltage module. Or HorseADoodleDoo by Computerscare is basically a 16 channel sequencer that has this random output that is different every tiny increment of the program knob is turned, set it to one step and it won’t progress. A few things out there are close, but they think they are sequencers, since they are.

So, to be clear, these eight outputs are each either a 0 or a 1?

There’s only 256 such combinations (2^8 = 256). So a knob with 1000 positions would (roughly) average to four such positions for each output result. Which seems like a lot?

I’m reading this as a desire for some repeatable randomness of eight binary settings, but that lets you click through a dial to find one you like the sound of. Is that what you’re aiming for here?

mahlen

1 Like

Just ask if someoone already got it. Can do it myself withuout problem, just I don’t want to implement somethings that already exist, thanks :slight_smile:

True! So basically 256 different configurations. Each knob position could be one of this settings (and seed knob could just re-order differently the values; so at position 0.5 it could be 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 or 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 and so on…

Is there any bit module that already random such a combination? Without any seed would be ok for now…

Do you know about the Count Modula Octet Sequencer? This sounds very similar to what you are searching for and from what i understand is exactly what you are describing here, only missing a seed knob.

Edit: rereading your post i think i got you wrong. skipped the part where you were searching for 8 outputs, not an 8 note sequence.

Predictably, I’ve now written a solution using the BASICally module:

Eight-bit.vcv (1.5 KB)

Not, I admit, as elegant as a custom solution, but it might help you determine whether or not the custom module is worth writing.

mahlen

As @cubistguitar mentioned above, you could use computerscare Horse A Doodle Doo to accomplish this, albeit with 4 total modules:

Describing the implementation in my screenshot:

1. “Seed” input could be any constant voltage generator, I’m using Knoly Pobs set to 1ch polyphony
  2. Count Modula Slope Detector is used to detect when the knob value changes
  3. Horse a Doodle Doo is clocked by the MOVING gate output of the Slope Detector, and the pattern controlled by the “Seed” knob. Horse a Doodle only changes its value when clocked, and the minimum pattern length is 2 steps but I suppose that doesn’t really matter. Density should be set to 100% to ensure no empty CV sequences. Set the polyphony to however many 10v / 0v outputs you desire.
  4. Horse outputs 0-10v non-quantized voltage so use VCV Compare (against +5v B OFFSET) get the desired +10v / 0v output.
3 Likes