Screen recording vcvrack on linux

is anyone recording their screen and audio on linux? I’m using camtasia on windows and macos with great results, but I am looking at system 76 laptops for fun and wondering what is used to do the same on linux

OBS works pretty well altho I find I have to put the video through kdenlive afterwards to fix the colour.

you can also record using ffmpeg directly, there’s a couple of command line options around that work well.

1 Like

I don’t seem to have this problem :thinking:

1 Like

no I’ve been trying to track it down. OBS is often reported to record with dark colours but no good explanation is given.

the weird thing is that all I have to do is drag the dark OBS video into kdenlive and render the video and it comes out perfectly. I have no idea.

I should add it’s not just OBS, it’s every screen recorder I’ve tried including ffmpeg at the command line, software or hardware encoding, different colour spaces, bitrates etc.

That does seem like a prime suspect. I remember the occasional pains with Natron and Blender regarding making sure the color spaces and profiles were set correctly during playback.

check the settings of obs. also, there are filters to do color correction.

I use OBS as well , but I eared SimpleScreenRecorder is great

1 Like

A plus one here for SimpleScreenRecorder - it’s never been a problem.

SimpleScreenRecorder is very lightweight so perfect for bigger patches, but I still can’t get it to record the audio of VCV Rack at the same time.
If set to Monitor … sound is very silent … other setting just put out loud distortion :frowning:
But this might be a Pulseaudio Problem. Will test again with Jack.

Finally got it working on Mint with VCV 1.1.4, Skrylar’s Jack Modules and SimpleScreenRecorder. :star_struck: :nerd_face:
VCV’s Audio our crashed with Jack :frowning:

If recording VCV Rack’s screen only, use
https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html#Recorder

3 Likes

Hi @AlasdairMoons, Pulseaudio and Jack together is a tricky thing. Please have a read here at Jack Audio and Walkthrough.

I use Cadence myself under openSUSE Leap 15.1 without issues.

1 Like

OMG, so cool, exactly what I need
tested it and it works nicely on my Windows 10 … will test it later on my Mint … :smiley:

Thanks @Vortico for this wonderfull piece of Software

1 Like

The update makes a huge difference now for me regarding performance when recording, thank you.

1 Like

Tested it on my Linux Mint 19.2 Mate this evening … works like a charm and uses very little recources.
Standard Pulseaudio, no Jack required. Perfect.