SapphireFix Challenge (April 2024)

Captivating drone with a tom made in Elastika, intense electrical interference and water dripping from the ceiling. Well done!

Another janky creation…The video doesn’t quite capture the range. Silent up to 30 seconds sometimes, then an outbreak of chaos. Then delicate at times. Anyway, nothing terribly clever here except for cycling the clock on and off which allowed space to develop.

2 Likes

Like it! I always need to remind myself that “silence is an instrument”. Or you can record the snippets and compile them into a rhythmic adventure.

The sapphire stuff always seemed so vague to me. And whenever i looke up the manuals i get a headache from all the physics references. Add to that that I’ve been bouncing hard off of shapemaster through many attempts to wrap my head around it and this fixed rack is a nightmare to me. While I haven’t made anything yet that i feel is up to snuff to post, it does appear that I’m creating a soundtrack to that aforementioned nightmare lol. Sometimes it can be fun getting frustrated.

1 Like

I can relate to your frustration! However, part of the beauty in the Sapphire modules is that you can easily explore them without having the faintest idea of the physics behind.

For the modulators (such as Glee, Frolic or Nucleus), first viewing their outputs on a scope helped me to understand that they can be broken down to relatively simple movements.

And with the sound generators (e.g. Elastika, Tube Unit, and also Nucleus), you can start really simple with just a few cables and by moving knobs in small steps.

With some of the modules, right-clicking on the attenuverter knobs allows to set a ‘low sensitivity mode’ for fine control.

I also found the simple tutorial videos (links in the manuals) to be quite useful to watch and fun to rebuild.

Endangered Woods

Soft pad with a slight presentiment of devastation that looms with careless disturbance of a delicate balance.

YouTube:

SoundCloud:

6 Likes

Really nice! I particularly like the bird-like sounds that come forward around :20 and 1:10.

1 Like

Hi everyone. Seen one submission to the channel at reddit and became intrigued. Here is my submission.

6 Likes

As a new user, can’t provide more than one link in one post. And can’t attach patch to the message. Here is patch on Patchstorage.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

Nice atmospheric creation. The variety of sounds is amazing, and the increasing intensity and tension in the ‘distorted taiko drums’ made me want to listen further to see what comes next. Well done!

Thanks! Changes in drum rythm from simply turning gain knob was unexpected but very welcome discovery.

1 Like

Here is the first one of (probably) two entries. Thank you for this interesting challenge! It’s fun, and I’ve learned a lot, not only about the Sapphire modules but other modules as well I’ve never used before.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Cool patch! The increase in intensity over time is nice. The ‘mice in the attic’ sounds from Nucleus in Mixer tracks 5, 4 and 6 are pretty interesting.

1 Like

Thank you! The whole patch went like “Let’s patch this, it doesn’t make sense… Oh, interesting result!” :laughing: Really fun to experiment with these modules!

1 Like

I was wondering how you got this smooth particle movement in the tricorder. I have all the time hectical panic movement there. But now, I see that you have the speed knob way down in Nucleus and don’t use audio output but kind of LFO mode, I guess. I really like the result!

1 Like

Here is the second patch I was already working on. Very different to the first one, but again very fun to create!

6 Likes

Well this was a fun learning experience!

Here’s my entry on patchstorage and here’s the youtube link

I tried to make something psytrance-ish. The challenging part was having something left over to make a melody with after using the sine and palette for kick and bass, but I figured out you can use shapemaster as an oscillator so that freed up palette for some arpeggios.

3 Likes

Wow @Alphagem-O : Your Endagered Woods…so organic, with the bird-like chirps in the background…this one is really great with your eyes closed…beautiful pad and I love the plucky sound…sounds a bit like a morph of acoustig guitar and sitar…

1 Like

You’ve seen that well. The speed button is in the negative range. And yes, I use Nucleus as an LFO. But everything is more knitted randomly. And thanks for liking my patch.

1 Like

Thank you! I found rather by chance that modulating the frequency knob in Distortion (Surge XT) with an LFO can add a slight twang to the pluck. This is emphasized when mixing it with the native sound. Helps in ‘humanizing’ the guitar sound in this patch.

1 Like