run VCV on CentOS

Hello can someone help me when i try to launch rack on centOS7 i get the following errors:

[root@z640 Rack]# ./Rack ./Rack: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./Rack) ./Rack: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version GLIBCXX_3.4.21’ not found (required by ./Rack) ./Rack: /lib64/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.20’ not found (required by ./Rack)

Thanks in advance

I m not centOs specilaist but what about yum install?

run

yum whatprovides “*name-of-the-library” then, install it

ejemplo

yum whatprovides "*libstdc++.so.6"

it will trow a package name

then install the package with

sudo yum install thenameofthepackage

(remplace the thenameofthepackage by the name provided)

You have heard the announcement from IBM regarding Centos? They have essentially destroyed the Centos concept - long term massive stability. Google Centos Stream.

May be the time to move to another distro. I personally certainly would not invest any more time in Centos in the light of this recent development.

I apologise that this may not be a very helpful answer.

But, one article, for example:

You will find howls of outrage all over the internet.

2 Likes

yes, I never used centos but allays is sad when something like that happens

I use CentOS at work a bit – lot of our customers run RHEL…

The problem with CentOS/RHEL (well, one of the problems) is that it tends to be bundled with really ancient glibc, gcc, etc. From your message, it looks like Rack as distributed is linked to a version of the C libraries that is incomparable with your version.

It should be relatively easy to recompile on the target system to fix that, though.

2 Likes

would you recommend any other distro to go from here?

what about rocky linux , seems like the predecesor for Centos

On a lark I decided to spin up a CentOS vagrant and see what it would take to compile it.

It was a little more complicated that I had thought, owing to the age of the packages in 7. But if you’re interested in compiling it, this is briefly what I did.

First, you’ll need to install two non-standard repositories: the epel-release repository for access to the Jack development libraries, and centos-release-scl for access to GCC 7.

sudo yum install -y epel-release centos-release-scl

Next, you’ll want to install the development packages:

sudo yum group install -y "Development Tools"

You’ll also want to install the following packages:

sudo  yum install -y wget mesa-libGL-devel libXrandr-devel libXinerama-devel libXcursor-deve libXi-devel \
                         zlib-devel gtk2-devel jack-audio-connection-kit-devel jq cmake3 alsa-lib-devel

Now, here’s where things get a little tricky.

You’ll need to (as root) create a symbolic link from cmake3 to cmake.

cd /usr/bin
    ln -s cmake3 cmake

Next, you’ll need to install and activate GCC7 – the version on CentOS is what’s causing your problems, and it doesn’t default to the C99 standard, which a few of the dependencies need.

sudo yum install -y devtoolset-7-gcc devtoolset-7-gcc-c++
    scl enable devtoolset-7 -- bash

(note that the second command creates a sub-shell.)

Now that you’ve done these things, you should be able follow the build guide.

git clone https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack.git
    cd Rack
    git submodule update --recursive --init
    make dep
    make

Now, I don’t have a way of running it – it’s just a VM, and I think rack doesn’t like VNC, and sound probably wouldn’t work – so I can’t really test, but if you use GCC7 I think you should have binary compatibility with downloaded modules, but I can’t guarantee it.

The thread is old but I would still suggest checking the official documentation of VCV to see if there are any updates or solutions to the issue you’re facing. You may also want to try running the application with elevated privileges or in compatibility mode. If none of these solutions work, you could consider posting your question on a relevant forum or community to see if other users have encountered similar issues and found a solution. Also, if you’re still using CentOS 7, it’s worth noting that the operating system is no longer supported and has reached its end of life. You can use Extended Lifecycle Support for CentOS 7 | TuxCare to upgrade and get more tips.

This topic is so old that you necro-bumped it from its 2.5 year old grave.