Reverse Reverb / Shoegazer Reverb

Hi I’ve been searching the forum and general Eurorack pages wondering if there is a way to create a reverse reverb effect similar to the Alesis Midiverb or Yamaha SPX90. This type of sound can be heard prominently by My Bloody Valentine or Slowdive.

I’m thinking something like running the wet from a verb into something like Flag Prince of Perception and then into a reverb again but it’s not quite gelling.

Any thoughts?

1 Like

Airwindows MV is based on the Alesis Midiverb, and sounds really good. But as for reverse reverb, I have never successfully created this effect in Rack. Closest I’ve got was: Prince of Perception set really slow and reverse (no feedback), to Reverb, to another Prince of Perception set to the same settings, also reverse.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip on Airwindows, somehow I’ve never seen that plugin and although you mention it not having a reverse I’m excited to try it out.

Regarding the reverse your suggestion to double on the Prince of Perceptions sounds like a good option. Thank you!

To any devs that might come across this post perhaps a Yamaha SPX90 clone reverb would be a cool if not unique addition to the library.

2 Likes

I see this IR collection mentioned/recommended on KVR and Reddit (it’s 10 UKP).

there’s an Alesis Midiverb II Impulse Pack for sale too.

VCV pro comes with a convolution reverb, and there’s one in the NYSTHI collection.

2 Likes

You should try MV and MV2 from Airwindows Suite these were made to recreate this kind of effects.

1 Like

Hmm, one effect I haven’t tried to make yet. Challenge accepted! Taps is another good reverse delay, which might be worth a look.

1 Like

Thank you all for the suggestions!

@Jens.Peter.Nielsen - It’s funny I was thinking about IRs and getting “Pro” which I will eventually do no matter what but I came across those Surefyre sets and had the happy coincidence of the Nsynthi modules becoming available for ARM at the same time. Do you have experience with the pro version convolution reverb vs the Nsynthi one?

@VirtualModular - will definitely look at Taps too and excited to see if you persue making the effect, if you do please update me!

Have a good one!

Not too much experience, I used VCV Pro convolution module for a while - but it was using a lot of resources, and hardly left any CPU for the rest of Rack. I didn’t do a lot of troubleshooting wrt ASIO config etc.

I ended up using Liquidsonics Reverberate 3 in VST Host - it does the 4 channel “True Stereo” IR’s too. Downside is that it’s $99.

I wanted to use this: Truestereo Bricasti M7

An extreme case of large IR, NYSTHI has better performance. VCV convolver spikes at 120% on my 2019 PC. Using the same file (that could easily be muted after 15-20 seconds - a process that is easy to do with an envelope in Liquidsonics Reverberate 3. Have to load the IR’s in a wav editor to make them shorter if VCV convolver is used.)

Using this insanely large IR, NYSTHI Convolvzilla crackles using the default setting (no spikes on the load monitor). But it’s smooth if i change the BLOCK SIZE to 2048 in the right-click menu.

And here’s “Reverberate” with cropping and envelope.

2 Likes

I’ve done a thing with two prince of perceptions with a reverb in between. the first to reverse the sound and the second unreverses it with reverb on but it doesn’t do it “live”

I had a quick go at this, using Plateau into Taps with both set to 100% wet. Kind of works, but even with the feedback at zero, I couldn’t stop it creating more than one repeat. For the genuine reverse reverb, you want a single tap. Anyway, Taps seemed to work better than Prince of Perception for this. Haven’t tried it with guitar yet, might do that later.