Reverse delay

Hello everyone, is/are there modules that can create/be utilised to create reverse delay? Been musing on this for a while. NYSTHI Complex Simpliciter can play reverse tape wise and then a delay would that work? It’s experimentation time huzzah! Any advice on any modules would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Checkout Mschack: PingPong delay, little button gnipgnop :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks Eurikon, I miss the details sometimes! Like your patches so far, you making any more? Enjoyed your ‘Day of the Dead’ one. See if that fulfils my experimental streak!

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the nice words. Yes there will be more patches :slight_smile:

Keep an eye out on this thread. Enjoy experimenting and have fun!

nysthi clockable delay, and set the “REVERSE”

10 Likes

Thanks Antonio, is the ‘REVERSE’ marked on the module as Rev and is a led button? I will give that module a go, although I’ve been using it for a while in one of my strips and just kept pressing that button, assuming it was for that, but not that sure!

1 Like

Looking at delays at such recently, are there any delays where one can vary the pitch of the output, also any other reverse delays in VCV? The nysthi one is great though, thank you for this suggestion!

Do you mean tuned pitch as in following V/Oct? Or, is it good enough to just change pitch (and rate) by changing/modulating rate? Or more like a pitch shifter in the feedback path? What kind of effect are you looking for?

It doesn’t need to be tuned, basically just looking for a fixed write speed, with a variable playback speed. More like a pitch shifter with decay. But with the ability to do reverse.

I have an Instruo Lubadh, and I’m curious to try to duplicate some of its abilities in Rack to help me think about the processes a bit more.

Thanks for asking! There are so many modules, it’s hard to know if the functionality is already there in some of them.

So…might be resolved by combining a pitchshifter and a delay? Where I interpret your “fixed write speed” as “fixed pitch offset”.

Yes, that’s a good idea! Are there any that also do reverse? It doesn’t have to be perfect to catch the onset, it can be a looping buffer played in reverse, as long as I can update it continuously.

No worries if you don’t know of any, but any suggestions are welcome!

The original question was about reverse delay and answers/options were given (above).

There are looping delays, but at some point you might consider using a sampler. There are many…These give you more control over recording, playing, looping, overdubbing, sample time and length, playback speed and direction, number of playheads and such.

NYSTHI offer various great samplers (but there are others). For example:

1 Like

Jumping on the bandwagon of the latest hype/fab:

This is what chatGPT suggests:

Here’s a step-by-step process to create a fixed pitch offset in the delayed signal using more generic terminology:

1. Route the audio signal you want to apply the delay effect to into an audio delay module.
  2. Route the output of the audio delay module into a pitch shifting module.
  3. Use the pitch shifting module to transpose the pitch of the delayed signal by a desired amount (e.g. an octave up).
  4. Route the output of the pitch shifting module back into the mix to hear the delayed signal with the fixed pitch offset.

Note: The exact steps may vary depending on the specific modules you’re using and the desired effect, but this general process should give you a good starting point to create a fixed pitch offset in your delayed signal.

Note that when placing the pitchshifter after the delay in the feedback path, it will be applied on each “cycle”. If you want a fixed offset multiple echo, you would place the pitchshifter before the delay.

So this answer is useable for only one echo. But hey, I did not specify the amount of echoes/loops in my question to chatGPT. And I’m already impressed it coughes up a usefull answer.

1 Like

The new Airwindows module has PitchDelay (amoung 300 other things) that does it. I think. I’m not 100% sure.

2 Likes

This thread about Reverse Delay is steering ever further off course toward pitch shifted delay…but adding to that…

Chris…from Airwindows…has extensive desciptions and videos about all his plugins (which are now available in VCV Rack).

On PitchDelay he states in the first line of the descriptive text:

‘PitchDelay is TapeDelay2 but with pitch shift instead of flutter.’

As usual he has also made a video in which he goes into the details of concepts and implementation… https://www.airwindows.com/pitchdelay/

Ah, one of my favourite topics! It’s premium, but Unfiltered Audio have a pitch delay in one of their collections. I bought it a few years ago and it’s very good. Hora also has a delay that can do reverse, and Hora Millennial has a v/oct input, although that’s for pitching tones created from short delay times, like a resonator or Karplus-Strong. I don’t think you can pitch the regular delay by musical intervals. There is also the mighty Portland Weather, which does both reverse and pitch shifting of the delay taps, although the pitch shift doesn’t sound that great to my ears. For the classic effect of rising or falling delays, I’ve had a lot of fun using Clouds to pitch shift in the feedback loop of Chronoblob, that can get fairly mental. Finally, why don’t I spam my own effort where I’ve made a kind of granular delay with Simpliciters and tried to rip off the Microcosm!

Cheers!

3 Likes

Ooh, great suggestions, also the MICROCOSM recreation is a awesome idea, I’ll have to dig into that more, looks like a nice overview of multiple effects!

Thanks all!

Totally different effect, but it’s an old trick to patch a frequency shifter in the feedback loop of a delay. Surge has at least on, and my old booty shifter will do the job nicely.

4 Likes

Nice video, and I tried the patch, very impressive sound! Those Simpliciters are such beautiful modules.

In a DAW environment one can simply reverse the track, add delay, and reverse it again. But this approach is tricky in a modular/live environment using samplers (Or so I’ve found so far), as it causes alot of clicks and cutoffs, unless it’s timed perfectly. I tried to do it with reverb and it sounded terrible, or maybe I missed a crucial piece of the chain. :person_shrugging: