Reverse Delay - first module prototype

Ah, interesting, good to know. In that case I bet i know what it is.

Yeah, I’m not doing any interpolation on the buffer when changing the Length parameter, just changing the buffer length.

But the reverse is triggering a cross-fade algorithm whenever it crosses the write head, and I bet the reverse read head moving around arbitrarily is messing up my buffer distance relationships and causing the algorithm to output garbage of some sort.

I’ll have to block out some time to think through what it should do. Or maybe find a satisfactory band-aid that ameliorates the worst of it. I hadn’t originally intended to have those parameters moving around all the time they were kind of added later as a request. But TanaBarbier’s usage is really novel, so I’m glad they went in if I can just figure out a nice way to fix that.

Thanks again for the bug report! Do let me know if you see anything else that you find troubling.

1 Like

I see the issue, it crops up really quickly with high speed inputs but slowing everything way down and setting the buffer length to the lowest limit, it’s quickly illustrated here at low speed using TanaBarbier’s self-patch technique:

When that jagged looking waveform shows up, the led next to the Reverse Distance knob is also throbbing in brightness as well, which correlates to my buffer-fading algorithm basically malfunctioning and jumping around, flipping back and forth between two contradictory waveforms.

The problem space is clear to me now, I’ll just have to ruminate on it a bit and try out some different potential solutions.

1 Like

Of course it is OK, I am happy you liked the idea. I ended the patching session with two Taps modulating each other’s parameters, taking advantage of those beautiful noises, clics, pops, it is a Wonderfull noise machine this way ! I’ll try to record a few exemples when times allow.

I did filtered it, with a very steep LP at about 8k, just because it ringed where my ears tend to ring by themselves.

But really, I feel like this module could go in various directions, and be useful !

1 Like

Ah, I’m so glad you like it! That’s so fascinating, haha, I find the approach very interesting! This has been a rewarding project to work on, and all the more so hearing about it inspire something creative like that cross-modulation. I hadn’t thought of that at all when I was working on it. Thanks for sharing that with me!

1 Like

So, here it goes :

First, a warning, this does contain a lot of trebles that some might want to not hear at all.

I tried to make a synced noise loop with those self and cross modulation techniques I found yesterday, just to see how it took a clock and modulation of a few parameters. I really like how the LFOs go into audio rate which the modulation, but with the clock input and synced LFOs you can (if you want) get something synced to a tempo. It can go from a short predictable loop to longer evolving noises, but always with those components : kicks, clics, pops, white noise and bursting high tone. I like it better with the DC filter, the tanh and the steep LP, but in general I find it really useful for crazy but syncable and predictable noises ! Here is what the patch looks like :

4 Likes

Haha, awesome, it really is a noise machine like this!

OT, but congratulations on the album. I never finish anything! Can we hear it anywhere? Also what a great idea to process CV through this module, that hadn’t occurred to me at all.

1 Like

Thanks for asking! I missed this message previously. The album is called Black Star Glacier and put out under the name Yokai Holiday. It’s on spotify and youtube and various places, here’s the youtube link:

I’m really pleased with the way it came out. I was aiming for peaceful and pretty and a little bit transporting, while still letting me think about other things.

I also tried to make the tracks feel a little spacious.

3 Likes

Ah, haha, I didn’t realize this would just stick around as a deleted note. I got a bug report that I was scratching my head over, but on further discussion with the finder, I decided to wait before asking for more testers.

Nice work, I really like this! Particularly the 2nd track, Ice Crystal River, and the granular sounds on that. Just wondering if ‘Droplet Shimmer’ uses the module called Droplet? Underrated module that one, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone else use it in a patch. I’ll also stick a comment on YouTube to appease the gods of the algorithm :smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much!! I appreciate the algorithm boost too :slight_smile:

I had to check, no that one wasn’t using Droplet (But now I’m going to have to play around with that module), but it was using Valhalla’s shimmer, I was sending the internally generated pattern out to a Microcosm (which I had just received in the mail and was trying to find out what I could do with it), and then routing it’s output back into Shimmer, then playing with levels so that the sounds kind of move around and crescendo.

I thought it was just a silly experiment when I was working on it, but when I was putting the tracks together I felt like I needed something a bit simple and palette-cleansing after the really lush and sentimental first three tracks.

Interesting workflow, I’d love to get a Microcosm! I’ve had a few attempts at creating it in Rack, obviously wasn’t exactly the same but I got some vaguely similar sounds using plugins or Simpliciter. I don’t really use pedals generally, but I like the idea of combining hardware and software effects that way.

1 Like

Yeah! They did a good job on it. I splurged on one after my last company shutdown, and then kind of systematically explored it for a little while. Track 6 is the other hologram song, the microcosm is adding all of that rhythmic stuff, which really surprised me, I was playing a normal synth voice using an MPE controller, and fiddling around with the different microcosm presets, and that one just popped out of nowhere. It created this unexpected rhythmic underpinning that felt like a little more alive and responsive than I expected.

Dan is the album available on Bandcamp, love it so far-playing the YouTube 1st track.

I’ve been meaning to set up a bandcamp, I should do that this year. It’s on apple music, and spotify, and if you want I can send you the mp3s! :slight_smile:

Thank you, the mp3s would be very welcome! DM me.

Oh wow, Prism of Perception is very good! Lots of features I had fantasized about putting into a reverse delay module. Just recovering from some travel and an acquired travel bug, but hoping to get back into Taps coding soon. The fix to the potential pointer initialization bug should have gone live today, I think.

5 Likes

I’m making a squeak again, your module would rock my world with a “clear buffer” trigger input.

The Flag ducking feature has always been useful to create some space when using a healthy amount of delay, it would be super cool as well, but features take time to design and implement I’m sure, so I’ll stop there and not be obnoxious with feature upon feature request.

I still think your module has a special character and usefulness even beside the Prism/Prince Flag module, keep it sorta simple and it makes a fun building block in complex patches.

2 Likes

Thanks cubistguitar! The clear buffer input is still on my roadmap, I think it will be done before the end of June, maybe sooner if I do that first instead of fixing the bug that Squinky identified.

I feel similarly, I’m pretty glad that the Flag reverse delay works so well, but I also find all those features a bit overwhelming at times. I am still pleased at this single buffer two taps concept.

And, I’m still also pleased with the idea of making it open source, so that anybody who wants to make a reverse delay has at least one approach to look at and learn from. Maybe I just didn’t look hard enough, but I couldn’t find any good ones to emulate.

But anyway, I appreciate and note the squeakiness! It’s good to know you still want that feature, so I feel a bit happier bumping it up in my to-do queue!

3 Likes