Removing ability to add individual modules on VCV Library

I think the module browser is one of the weakest points of VCV.

I give up pretty much every single time I need to find a module, that I don’t remember the name of.

I understand the issue with having to add single plugins for you as a developer. But the module browser is so dense, I find it very hard to find what I am looking for. I do use and like the Favourites feature a lot.

The V1 browser, seemed like it was better to me. You can still use the V1 browser by using the MB module from Stoermelder, but then the favourites option is gone.

Cleaning out future module clutter in the browser is great, but in my opinion the browser needs an update, in some way, to make it easier to navigate.And maybe also add something so you can turn favourites on off with a key command, when the module browser is open… If it doesn’t already exists, of course and I just don’t know about the short cut.

10 Likes

50/50 on supporting this idea - I understand why those who keep their local library small would object, but as someone who has both been bitten in the a** by the “must subscribe module before downloading beta builds”, and as someone who religiously checks the library and adds every new module manually, this is an interesting development.

I feel that, however, a way to highlight any newly added modules (not the full updated collection, but just new modules) would be an asset, as this will eliminate the need to go to the library unless a new module creator releases a hitherto unknown collection.

And a “hide” system is a must, preferably available immediately upon implementation of this change (so as to appease those who are opposed to this change). It could even “autohide” any individual modules that are not subscribed using the old method.

1 Like

It ended up going back to the way it was. So I’m a happy camper. My messages here may have been slightly rash. I used VCV to simulate noise on the knobs of the Valley Plateau because I just ported it to a firmware for the Noise Engineering Versio product line

I’m glad we have plugins/subscribe/remove all now added to the library page on the web for vcv but I really think VCV Rack 2 needs in app subscribe/add/remove/remove all to be a more finished product because it’s much more convenient.

in my opinion it is important to be able to decide what to install and what not, I am referring to the individual modules… Because there are those like me (or maybe I’m the only one, but hey, I exist too) who have been getting by for 7 years with a 1GB of free space on the computer hahaha, so being forced to install the complete plugins would mean using the computer with completely KO memory, which is impossible, and therefore the other solution is to uninstall certain number of plugins…While choosing the individual modules I have way of taking what interests me and leaving what I don’t need…Perhaps the “add plugin” button can simply be added, without replacing anything, so that those who have 3TB of free space don’t waste time and click "add plugin " … then you will waste time making a selection of favorites to hide unwanted modules… Anyone who wants to continue managing individual modules can continue to do so.

I don’t think hiding individual modules makes a difference in the amount of space the actual installed plugin reserves on your drive. You always install the complete plugin, no matter what.

6 Likes

That’s exactly right. Adding a “single module” today downloads the entire plugin and all its assets, loads them all into your session, and then doesn’t show the ones you aren’t subscribed to in your browser.

3 Likes

I didn’t know it worked like this, so it means that my computer supports the entire library, I didn’t expect it hahaha, in any case I remain of the opinion that the more freedom you have the better, if I have a collection with perhaps 80 modules… I only care about one, why do I have to have them all? From what I understand, in terms of resources I have the complete plugin… At least from a graphic point of view I would like to avoid finding myself with 79 modules that don’t interest me, therefore the possibility of choosing the individual modules before downloading, or the possibility of hide them after downloading them…

I think if this change comes with a much better browser, everyone is going to be satisfied. Most of our gripes right now with VCV rack are about the browser experience. If I can customize in several folders what I view in the browser, It will be a much quicker and fluid experience. I kinda like the graphic view, but searching should return a list first. If these sort of changes are made to the browser, then I think everyone can have a better VCV experience.

3 Likes