Recording Macbook VCV screen for Instagram?

Hey y’all,

I’d like to start sharing some small VCV videos on Instagram but know nothing about recording or editing video. Does anyone have any idea about how to record my Macbook screen and audio and then be able to crop the finished video to Instagram square format?

Thang Q!

For recording you can use OBS . For just cropping you can use any freeware you like.

1 Like

search this forum. even better, search the FB user’s group. There is tons, and tons, of info about this.

1 Like

I do this with the VCV recorder. It can record audio and video, and there’s no need to sync anything afterwards. For editing, you can use Hitfilm Express. It’s free and easy to use.

3 Likes

@Thrstn @Squinky Thanks, Chaps!

@Omri_Cohen Will try this out tonight.

Much appreciated.

I record the videos with Quicktime (you can crop the video frame before recording) and audio with Rec from VCV; then for the editing part I use DaVinci Resolve (free). cheers

1 Like

Thanks again, everyone. Sadly couldn’t find any editing software that will run on my ancient 2010 Macbook but did manage to capture some nice video with VCV Recorder which will be fine until I can get a newer machine.

1 Like

Thanks for the tips in this thread! It helped me a lot!

2 Likes

I realize that this is somewhat late, but a 2010 MacBook can likely run macOS 10.11.6 (El Capitan). If so, then you can get iMovie v10.1.6 for it, at iMovie 10.1.6 : Apple Inc. : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive

This is fresh in my memory because I just finished replacing the failed hard drive in my wife’s 2009 iMac with a 1TB SSD, plus a bit more RAM.

To record your Macbook screen and audio, you can use the built-in QuickTime player on your Mac. Simply open QuickTime, go to “File” and select “New Screen Recording.” This will allow you to select the area of your screen you want to record and also let you record audio from your Mac’s microphone. Once you’ve finished recording, you can then edit the video using a program like iMovie or Final Cut Pro to crop it to the square format required by Instagram. As for getting Instagram followers, remember that the most important thing is to create high-quality, engaging content that resonates with your audience. You could also try interacting with other users in your niche, using hashtags and doing cross-promotion on other platforms. Additionally, you could consider use paid promotion to reach a larger audience.

If you install the “Soundflower” extension, you can send Rack audio to it via the AUDIO module (instead of, say, headphones or speakers), and then have Quicktime Player use it instead of the microphone (it’s in the “Options” of the screen recording setup) to record the audio track simultaneously with the video.

I’m not sure about any voiceover with the mic though. That may still need iMovie or whatever.

Or … waiddaminnit - try this: Add another AUDIO module to the Rack patch, have it listen to the MacBook’s built-in mic for your voiceover, then patch that module’s output to the mixer which outputs to the first AUDIO module, which routes it to Soundflower and on to QuickTime Player for the screen recording.

[a few minutes later] Yup. I daresay that works. I could hear my voice over the audio from the Rack patch, and the mixer module can adjust the level.