Rebel Tech modules development blog

Pushed a few fixes/improvements:

• Tonic is now polyphonic (example)
  • Custom param display for Logoi
  • Fixed uninitialised variable issues
  • Added manual links per plugin

@Steve_Russell - interesting stuff, clearly need to think about UI combinations for next release (e.g. could be independent knobs/back panel configuration).

As for CLK I’ll take a look - current SVGs are based on hardware so don’t want to deviate too much, but what works for hardware isn’t always exactly 100% optimal for software so maybe a little tweak will help. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand there might be differences beween the original hardware and the software port.

With seeing the original panel.

I thought (like you said) a little tweak was in order,

1 Like

Have updated to use the new knobs re-designed by @pyer - much better! Also spaced out jacks on CLK and thinned out the markings around the knobs (thanks @Steve_Russell).

15 Likes

Any plans for adding polyphony to Phoreo?

I’ve added a Dark Mode to Rebel Tech modules - would anyone be willing to test / give feedback?

7 Likes

Much appreciated.

If I change the default theme to “dark” - they’re still shown light in the module browser. Is it possible to show the default mode in the module browser?

Perhaps the devs could agree on a global “dark mode preference” config setting ?

1 Like

There should really be an API for this in VCV, but unfortunately that suggestion has been rejected by “upstream” several times. Would indeed be nice if modules used a consistent implementation for this, but since none is available everybody rolls their own.

I think it would make sense to have the screws also change to the black/dark variant. Otherwise looks great.

ouh! nice! agree with @falkTX , there are black screws in the library. I Think they usually showcase CLK with the black davies as well

1 Like

Maybe we need skeuomorphic befaco knurlies as well? :smiley:

I made some for the library, I they are used in the befaco modules :slight_smile: but unfortunately: when you look to knurlies from a perfect top angle, they are quite boring (you just see a cross):

We choose to design the screws in a boring way because they have no fonctional reasons to attract the attention of the user… and before someone ask: why are they even here then? well obviously the modules would fall of the screen!

I heard a few time “skeudomorphic” to describe my designs for rack 2. I know it became a bad word, but I still like it :slight_smile: … I agree it can be called “the S word” compared to VCV 1, which was a true art statement for flat design, but I hope with Rack2 we kept a resonable position in the skeudo-spectrum of the general virtual audio world :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@Ahornberg made his screws “screw-able” :sunglasses:

4 Likes

If you unscrew my modules, they “fall off”.

2 Likes

All the cool kids are using the hidden magnetic attachment system these days…

4 Likes

I can’t tell if you’re joking but that seems like a great idea.

@steve is joking, but you probably have noticed that mind meld modules don’t have screws. Starting with Comp II I copied that. I think screws on digital modules are an abomination.

4 Likes

Some good suggestions here, thanks.

• made module browser respect preferences (I think it caches previews though so a restart is needed after a change of default)
  • dark mode uses dark screws and black Davies knob

I personally think they look great, so will keep them here, but I appreciate that opinions on levels of skeumorphism will always vary (and the discussions on this forum have been already had in great depth so I’ll keep this thread on topic).

11 Likes