Reason MIDI Out and VCV RACK PRO

Maybe my fault but i am a little bit disapointed about the migration of Reason Midi out and VCV Rack Pro!

In the free version and VCV Host it is working but now in Reason Standalone and VCV as Plugin nothing is working.

I try to send MIDI OUT from Reason but VCV doesn´t get the signal. The same happens in Ableton as Host. Reason sending MIDI Out. Ableton recognice it but VCV RACK Pro did not get any signal.

Any ideas?

As with just about any software issue, you’ll need to say what versions of the software(s) and what OS you’re talking about.

If you have an issue with MIDI in Rack pro, then you can always open a support ticket: VCV - Support (vcvrack.com). Support is one of the things you’ve paid for.

Solved! The Note is one octave below than from Midi/Gate VCV Host Module. By the way, The VCV Rack Drumcomputer is very well designed:)

This is the issue of various DAWs and vendors not agreing what MIDI note middle-c is. Never standardized so it’s a trainwreck.

Classic computer problem. Some start numbering octaves at Zero, and others start at One. The MIDI spec isn’t a help. Actual practice in industry is all over the map. In Midi, the note number is all that matters, and it doesn’t matter how octaves are counted as there isn’t anything in MIDI that refers directly to octaves (well, other than Octave Shift, but that’s always relative).

1 Like

MIDI Spec:

It has no mention of the octave number (not to mention no clues as to what frequency range that note might be). The indicated “piano range” is suspect as well, because there are pianos with varying note ranges. It’s all quite vague :-).

not even in theory books about classical music. some consider C3 as piano’s middle C, some others (more recent ones) C4 :dotted_line_face:

That’s… quite shocking actually. I’ve run into this C3/C4 thing as well with eurorack modules. I would have definately thought that the meaning of “Middle-C” would be as well established as A=440Hz, especially since that (A4) is defined as “the A above the middle-c”.

From this article I get the impression that middle-c is actually well-defined and specified as C4 at a specific frequency, it’s just that confusion and bad practice has been propagating for a very long time, and middle-c is C3, C4 or C5 according to what vendor is doing the talking. Very unfortunate.

1 Like

Not sure how much is advocacy after the fact than any kind of official standard. Perhaps there’s some hope for convergence, but as a practical matter you’ll see inconsistencies. Depends on what school or tradition you grew up with that establishes your expectation. Given that there are inevitable differences, what can be done as a practical matter for a Rack modules is to document the convention your module follows where that is a “thing” in your module.

A isn’t necessarily always 440Hz (discussed in the Wikipedia article). Of course it’s a curious artifact that A is the note with a more or less standard frequency rather than “middle C”, probably mainly because it’s a nice round number that’s easy to remember, especially if you’re using a display without many digits of precision :-). I like the rhythm of the English pronunciation of A-Four-Forty.

To be clear, the exact same frequency can be noted with different octave numbers. Is MIDI note Zero in Octave 0, Octave 1, or even Octave -1, or Octave -2? The MIDI spec doesn’t specify octave numbering. Are you 0-based (as in the C programming language) or 1-based (BASIC)?

Some think calling the first item’s number 0 is weird.

But then all in all Music is wacky. Every generation for aeons seems to attempt to systematize it, but it’s a task that’s never done. Music always escapes any boundaries one attempts to set. Of course, working within limitations is a deep well of creativity.