Radio Garden: Listen to Worldwide Radio

I just found out about a pretty awesome app/website called Radio Garden. Lets you tune in to radio stations from around the world. I’ve been having a lot of fun with it lately.

Radio Garden website

Radio Garden iPhone

Radio Garden Android

6 Likes

I listen to it every night while I shave, with the "Android app.

Most often I listen to “Moon Phase Radio” out of the U.K., but there’s a lot of great stations in Africa playing local stuff.

One refreshing thing about the app is that when you browse for a station on the map they may display the names of cities, but they don’t show names or borders of countries.

1 Like

Those smartphones are getting smarter by the minute.

8 Likes

I see what you did there. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

An alternative, cheap and super useful VST for sampling is Radio:

2 Likes

I use WebSDR servers, which use Software Defined Radios hooked to antennas to stream live shortwave broadcasts. http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

3 Likes

i was looking (obviously not hard enough) for this exact thing not to long ago. thanks!:slight_smile:

1 Like

this made me relise something i dont know how to do: how do i get the audio from the computer, external from vcv (in this case the radio garden) into vcv? i am not the best at computers, but ive tried every combination of drivers and outputs on the audio 8 module into a scope with max gain to see if the computer sound comes through, and nothing…

You need to route the audio via virtual sound cards. I don’t know anything about Linux but if you are on a Mac then it is very easy to do with Soundflower, Blackhole or Loopback (paid). If you are on Windows then it is more painful. I think there are freeware solutions, there is Dante (paid) and there is a new entrant, Blue Cat Audio’s Connector (paid).

1 Like

If you’re in Windows, depending on your hardware and drivers, you can use the Stereo mix. Sometimes it might be hidden or disabled, but a web search might help you there if that’s the case.

1 Like

I have used voicemeeter potato to route audio between apps on Windows 10 and 11.

Heres the audio from google chrome into voicemeeter VAIO (outputs to B2) → vcv-audio (outputs to A1) → vcv-host-fx → vcv-audio → voicemeeter aux

Windows is set to use the device “Voicemeeter VAIO”:

VCV is set to use “ASIO: Voicemeeter AUX”

Voicemeeter A1 is set to my physical hardware interface.

It’s not easy to get it working, sometimes it crackles - and restarting the audio engine in the software helps.

VB-Audio VoiceMeeter Potato

I paid EUR 10.

thanks this worked. it would be great if there was a way to exclude vcv from that, so that i dont get feedback (dont worry, i havnt managed this), so if so, that would be great, or something similar

Thanks much for the link, I’ve been looking for something just like that site. I have one of those SDR dongles, it works great for local FM but not so well for short-wave.

:+1:t3:Thanks for the heads up about Soundflower. Just the ticket for making a video of a Rack patch with sound. I used to have to record audio from Rack, and capture the video with QuickTime Player, then piece them together in iMovie. What a pain that was.

[update - I now use BlackHole instead of Soundflower. I forget exactly what the advantage was for me.]

Found this: Modular Station

And an interesting website from his team: Modular Station Website

1 Like

Modular Station. Great tip.

I see several names of fames (including “our” @Omri_Cohen) and many that are new for me.

If you are interested in the history of electronic music and the tools and techniques and experimental stuff of yesteryear (e.g. old and obscure analog test and other equipment).

Then I can recommend Hainbach (also featured on the Module Station Website).

Based out of Berlin, Germany, electronic music composer and performer Hainbach creates shifting audio landscapes THE WIRE called “One hell of a trip”. He has been fascinated with electronic sounds since he discovered the dial on the radio. Never losing his childhood wonder, he still searches for the sounds in between on modular synths, tape and test equipment, making even the unmusical “music”. Through his YouTube channel Hainbach brings experimental music techniques to a wider audience.

HAINBACH (hainbachmusik.com)

This site links to sites that use SDR to stream live shortwave. I love the university of Twente site. Full spectrum, with a cheerfully clunky UI that does everything I need.

http://websdr.org/

2 Likes

Thank you so much-a perfect radio scanner!