Rack2 Scalar crashing - Mac

Hi there, My Rack2 keeps crashing when i’m trying to start the app. Anyone else experienceing the same thing? I’m running rack2 (2.4.1 and 2.4.0) on a mac mini 2018 10.15.7 Catalina. /Marcus

What does the log file (in your Rack documents folder) say right after the crash?

[4.554 info src/plugin.cpp:130 loadPlugin] Loading plugin from /Users/marcussjoblom/Documents/Rack2/plugins-mac-x64/VCV-Scalar [4.555 fatal adapters/standalone.cpp:49 fatalSignalHandler] Fatal signal 11. Stack trace: 9: Rack(fatalSignalHandler(int)+27) 8: libsystem_platform.dylib(_sigtramp+29) 7: libc++.1.dylib(guard variable for std::__1::__thread_local_data()::__p+881942548) 6: plugin.dylib(rack::drm::Context::load()+538) 5: plugin.dylib(rack::drm::Context::Context(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator >, rack::plugin::Plugin*)+299) 4: plugin.dylib(init+239) 3: libRack.dylib(rack::plugin::loadPlugin(std::__1::basic_string<char, std::__1::char_traits, std::__1::allocator >)+1526) 2: libRack.dylib(rack::plugin::init()+1818) 1: Rack(main+2649) 0: libdyld.dylib(start+1)

Or do you mean the actual crash report?

Looks like it’s the VCV Scalar module crashing your Rack. Delete what is inside the autosave folder and you should be able to start it again. First send crashreport and log after crash to support before you overwrite the log file when you start next after deleting autosave contents.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! Sent the log.txt to support. Deleted the autosave file, but its still crashing.

crash report, to see what is still ailing it. I assume you deleted the Trash after the delete of the autosave contents?

crashlog.pdf (111.7 KB)

hmm, not any clue as to why it abends with a segfault. Stack doesn’t identify the culprit. Hope support can help you further, as I am out of clues. Definitely not a normal thing…

I’m not sure I agree. It looks like rack is loading some plugin (unidentified), and the plugin is calling some DRM function in rack that is crashing, apparently in some string function. So either there is some paid plugin with a crashing bug in it, or more likely some random plugin is corrupting memory such that some innocent downstream plugin actually triggers the crash.

In any case, your advice is good - delete the autosave file. Hey - maybe it would be nice if rack didn’t load the autosave after a crash?

BTW, it’s a pathetic situation that there seem to be a number of “bad” plugins out there that can bring down rack in mysterious ways.

that would only be true if the template that gets loaded when autosave was deleted contains som buggy plugin. Possible that OP did make own template with some non-well-behaving plugin, but that would need verification.

Ok, so i’ve been testing every plugin, one by one, and it seems that VCV’s Scalar is the one thats crashing the app. Weird since there hasn’t been any updates in the changelog.

It can be very difficult to do this. With a subtle memory corruption it could easily be that it’s really come other plug-in doing it, but it doesn’t crash until some innocent plugin comes along. @k-chaffin went through this last year, and found it very difficult.

Not sure what you are referring to. What would be true only if …?

That statement block I was referring to

1 Like

Got word from support - deleted the “license” folder and now it works! Thanks alot for helping out anyway!

1 Like