Rack 2 File Manager Issues Linux - Solved

Using VCV Rack 2 (Free 2.0.6) on an Arch Linux system and the program is unable to open any file manager windows for saving/opening files, instead freezing the GUI for a few seconds before resuming. Autosave works just fine. Following is the log error resulting from the File->Save option:

[27.711 fatal adapters/standalone.cpp:49 fatalSignalHandler] Fatal signal 11. Stack trace:
    19: ./Rack() [0x403c8d]
    18: /usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x3e8e0)
    17: /usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x8e032)
    16: /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so(+0xb2ef8)
    15: /usr/lib/dri/iris_dri.so(+0xb3014)
    14: /usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x40ef5)
    13: /usr/lib/libc.so.6(on_exit+0)
    12: ./libRack.so(+0x3d80f2)
    11: ./libRack.so(osdialog_file+0x14e)
    10: ./libRack.so(rack::patch::Manager::saveAsDialog(bool)+0x1c2)
    9: ./libRack.so(rack::createMenuItem<rack::ui::MenuItem>(std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::__cxx11::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >, std::function<void ()>, bool, bool)::Item::onAction(rack::widget::Widget::ActionEvent const&)+0x24)
    8: ./libRack.so(rack::ui::MenuItem::doAction(bool)+0x57)
    7: ./libRack.so(rack::widget::EventState::handleButton(rack::math::Vec, int, int, int)+0x315)
    6: ./libRack.so(_glfwPlatformPollEvents+0xd2a)
    5: ./libRack.so(rack::window::Window::step()+0x5c)
    4: ./libRack.so(rack::window::Window::run()+0x28)
    3: ./Rack(main+0xbe0)
    2: /usr/lib/libc.so.6(+0x29290)
    1: /usr/lib/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0x8a)
    0: ./Rack() [0x403bb9]

My active file manager at the moment is PCManFM and I’ll be trying out a couple different ones in a bit.

It doesn’t call a file manager like PCManFM or Dolphin, but rather a file picker. I would guess that you don’t have xdg-desktop-portal installed/set up.

2 Likes

I think it requires Zenity to be installed.

2 Likes

Iirc Zenity is for notifications, not for file-browsing.

[edit: apparently it also has a file selection dialog. I would also expect this to just be chosen by xdg-desktop-portal, though]

1 Like

I installed xdg-desktop-portal and its GTK backend, with zenity for good measure and I’ve got it working just fine now. Thank you both so much.

3 Likes

Thank you all. Encountered this issue on 29 May 2024. My system (kubuntu 23.10) already had xdg-desktop-portal (and the -gtk and -kde packages) installed. The issue was not having Zenity installed, which meant the ‘file’ menu failed to appear (all other menus appeared correctly) Installed zenity from package manager and it’s now working correctly.