Rack 2.5 Mac, Linux, Windows, crashes, crashes crashes

Not my rig, it picked up the user folder “Rack2” and moved it. When I put it back and reopened VCV, it did it again. Old patches with Recorder active are buggy, because the old location for the recordings is gone and Recorder complains about it and will not easily be directed to new folder.

Windows 10 user

1 Like

2.5.0 moved my user folder to ~/Library/Application Support/Rack2 so 2.4.1 would need to have it moved back to function…

Thanks. Maybe my dying hard drive saved the day! It is seemingly randomly corrupting some files.

I didn’t pay much attention, but I did run into a hiccup during installation of 2.5. Maybe a corrupt file prevented the installer from moving my user folder. So now I have one in both the old and new locations.

I was concerned with the files relocation, so I decided to wait a bit before updating to the 2.5 pre-release. I’m on Windows.

1 Like

I wish I had.

2 Likes

the salty to be down talked user again:

The buggy VCV Rack 2.5.0 prerelease version is still available for download at:

Were are the guys that were deleting my posts within minutes in the past?

This version should been taken down at once to avoid more and more hassle for the people, its online since 17 hours!

1 Like

Please changes “Rack 2.5 Mac crashes, crashes crashes” in

"Rack 2.5 Mac, Linux, Windows, crashes, crashes crashes!

1 Like

Done!

1 Like

The whole custom cable color menu is buggy, put me in a perma loop opening closing the color tool window. Had to force close app and reopen.

I think I have rolled back to 2.4.1 after some effort.

Avoid 2.5.0 at all cost, 2 days of work lost forever to this buggy piece of dirt.

I cannot believe they thought the update was any way close to being ready for anyone to use. I would think sharing with a couple of power users around here could have given them a laundry list of troubling issues to deal with before public release.

2 Likes

Still boggling that it moved stuff instead of copying.

2 Likes

I disagree, I don’t want multiple copies of it on my drive. You can bet that lots of people would forget and keep using the unused one and then wonder why things can’t be found that they thought they’d saved to the correct place.

1 Like

That’s nice for you.

When it fucks up my patches & settings, I do.

Yeah, I’m not one of them.

3 Likes

My Rack2 folder under documents on Windows is 14.6GB in size. At the moment I have 20.2GB available, but often I do not have that much. Whichever way we go, this version copy or move has major implications for users.

2 Likes

Mine is 2.14 GB do you have a lot of samples in there ?

Interesting question. Turns out I have 12.5GB in my Rack2/recordings folder :wink: So otherwise it looks like I am close to your 2GB number.

So, what actually moves to a new location in 2.5?

The change document seems to imply that everything in the Rack2 folder moves.

2 Likes

The default Rack User folder moves from user profile Documents to an appropriate application data folder for the OS.

Code is at Rack/src/asset.cpp at v2 · VCVRack/Rack · GitHub

Local Appdata on Windows, the equivalent on Mac, and XDG_HOME on Linux (with an alternative if that isn’t defined).

It does the move with system::rename. On Windows, a normal “rename” call fails if the folders are on different volumes, and an explicit copy/move is required. I don’t know if the Rack system (fs) wrapper handles this case correctly. This isn’t common, but the effects of that code in this case are probably not great. it looks like it will attempt that move every time if the old folder is still there. (Interesting to see what OneDrive will do with the files after that rename).

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

So, is it safe to say that everything in the Documents/Rack2 folder will be renamed into something like LocalAppData/VCV/Rack2 ? Is this done on a file by file basis or on a folder by folder basis or by a folder with all subfolders… basis?

Ahhh - that is why I get different behavior than others! My Windows Documents location is in a non-standard place on a different volume, and all is well for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes