Rack 2.5 Mac, Linux, Windows, crashes, crashes crashes

The whole custom cable color menu is buggy, put me in a perma loop opening closing the color tool window. Had to force close app and reopen.

I think I have rolled back to 2.4.1 after some effort.

Avoid 2.5.0 at all cost, 2 days of work lost forever to this buggy piece of dirt.

I cannot believe they thought the update was any way close to being ready for anyone to use. I would think sharing with a couple of power users around here could have given them a laundry list of troubling issues to deal with before public release.

2 Likes

Still boggling that it moved stuff instead of copying.

2 Likes

I disagree, I don’t want multiple copies of it on my drive. You can bet that lots of people would forget and keep using the unused one and then wonder why things can’t be found that they thought they’d saved to the correct place.

1 Like

That’s nice for you.

When it fucks up my patches & settings, I do.

Yeah, I’m not one of them.

3 Likes

My Rack2 folder under documents on Windows is 14.6GB in size. At the moment I have 20.2GB available, but often I do not have that much. Whichever way we go, this version copy or move has major implications for users.

2 Likes

Mine is 2.14 GB do you have a lot of samples in there ?

Interesting question. Turns out I have 12.5GB in my Rack2/recordings folder :wink: So otherwise it looks like I am close to your 2GB number.

So, what actually moves to a new location in 2.5?

The change document seems to imply that everything in the Rack2 folder moves.

2 Likes

The default Rack User folder moves from user profile Documents to an appropriate application data folder for the OS.

Code is at Rack/src/asset.cpp at v2 · VCVRack/Rack · GitHub

Local Appdata on Windows, the equivalent on Mac, and XDG_HOME on Linux (with an alternative if that isn’t defined).

It does the move with system::rename. On Windows, a normal “rename” call fails if the folders are on different volumes, and an explicit copy/move is required. I don’t know if the Rack system (fs) wrapper handles this case correctly. This isn’t common, but the effects of that code in this case are probably not great. it looks like it will attempt that move every time if the old folder is still there. (Interesting to see what OneDrive will do with the files after that rename).

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.

So, is it safe to say that everything in the Documents/Rack2 folder will be renamed into something like LocalAppData/VCV/Rack2 ? Is this done on a file by file basis or on a folder by folder basis or by a folder with all subfolders… basis?

Ahhh - that is why I get different behavior than others! My Windows Documents location is in a non-standard place on a different volume, and all is well for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very curious to know if anything got moved, or did you get a completely fresh download of all the plugins and no memory of the settings.

From the code I looked at earlier when at my pc it looks like there should be a complaint in the log if the rename (move attempt) failed. If it didn’t fail, then the authors of the fs lib did a good job ;-).

One call to rename the folder.

2 Likes

Yeah, that move call in the Rack 2.5.0 code is a bit optimistic. I think it needs guarding and logging and possibly rollback. Like mentioned it can fail if on seperate volumes, but I imagine it can also fail if any programs have an open path or file under …/Rack2/… which can very easily be the case. If it was me (belt and suspenders) I would definately have a stern warning somewhere of the sort “before upgrading to 2.5.0 close ALL your programs, and preferbly stop anti-virus, OneDrive, etc…”. I would probably have put the move operation into a seperate little utility as a pre-upgrade step, that could check, verify, undo etc.

But the move itself is a good idea in my book. What modern OS’s do with the documents folder is unspeakable and nothing but trouble.

1 Like

To be fair, this is actually what this is. It’s in the dev blog, marked as preview, and is not the official release on the website and Rack itself will not prompt you to upgrade to it. Yes, there should have been some more verbiage about the folder move in the dev post outside of the changelog, certainly. Let that also be a lesson: If you want to install preview builds, read the changelog carefully first.

5 Likes

Nothing moved - fresh start, default initial settings.

hope Andrew and the team will fix/release it soon…

3 Likes

Actually I’m confused - after the upgrade you have a full 2.4.1 folder and an empty 2.5.0 folder, is that it? So the move amounted to nothing on your system?

I’m not sure about your definition of “the move amounted to nothing” - 2.5 certainly uses the new location. But nothing from the pre 2.5 location was moved.

My AppData is on a relatively small SSD, and my Documents is on a large hard drive.