Rack 1.1.0 is released

As the title says, see here if you are not already following:

6 Likes

Darn, I was just about to say the same thing! It seems to work okay.
Happy “plugups”.

The changelog is a bit short. For a full list what was changed see this link:

Interesting for plugin developers is this change:

It fixes the Fundamental ADSR module bug I reported, too:

In case a plugin developer is using the Vector struct as well and uses code like this: float_4 x[4] = { 0 }; then the plugin version should be increased and the plugin re-compiled with the new V1.1 Rack header files, because only the first array element was initialized with Rack V1.0. With the changes in Rack V1.1, all elements are initialized, with the same code.

3 Likes

Hmm. OS X 10.14.5 over here and…

screenshot_2019-06-27_21-26-11

Ctrl-click and then select Open :slight_smile:

Hm. Works, but it’s not a solution that makes me happy.

Hi, this is supposed to be a temporary issue due to the software being newly released. Search / read around to learn more.

1 Like

You might want to get used to it, because I imagine thousands of software packages (especially open-source and noncommercial projects, but also commercial) also now have that “warning” on Mac 10.14.5+. Here’s what I said in a Facebook comment.

Apple is moving toward being a completely closed garden, because they have reached a point where they don’t need users in the audio, film, and design industries to be financially successful. Users in these industries are weak, but we can still make some amount of push-back by using verifiable facts and mature debate to convince others that “owning” your computer is important and that this might not be possible with Mac anymore (soon). For example, in the most recent Mac release, 10.4.5, it is not possible to prevent the above “malicious software warning” unless all ~150 plugin developers pay $100+tax/year to Apple. This is of course an absurd requirement for plugin developers, so VCV does not send Rack to Apple for “notarization”, and thus Apple punishes it with this warning, despite VCV paying $100+tax/year to Apple to sign the Rack binary. Will Apple remove this workaround (VCV) in a future version of Mac? I do not know, but they appear to be quickly moving in that direction. If so, Rack will no longer work with Mac, and neither will thousands of other audio software.

5 Likes

Arrogant, elitist twits! (Apple, I mean.)

1 Like

? Really not sure i understand…

I thought I would have to do it every time I opened, not just the first time.

1 Like

You should be able to load unsigned plugins when you notarize your app. Try the disable library validation option for the hardened runtime.

You already know more than I do. I could do own my research for this once I have time, but if you have time, do you know how do you do that without Xcode? Is it a property in Info.plist, or a flag on the codesign utility?

codesign --options runtime --entitlements entitlements.mac.plist
which enables the hardened runtime (needed for notarisation) and the entitlements file specifies exceptions and restricted resource access, e.g.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
	<key>com.apple.security.get-task-allow</key>
	<true/>
	<key>com.apple.security.cs.disable-library-validation</key>
	<true/>
	<key>com.apple.security.device.audio-input</key>
	<true/>
</dict>
</plist>
1 Like

Thanks! Will test this to be included in Rack 1.2.

Thanks, added in https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack/commit/ef6e46731e3517737910feb41cb70eb18e1b3dfd