Pure Data Audio via VCV Prototype

Hi There, I am learning how to use Pure Data (pd) using the new VCV Prototype connection. I am interested in sending control pulses to Pure Data, processing them and returning a signal to Rack. I am sending a signal to the adc~ input and I cannot figure out out to get the signal to register on any of the pd devices (VU, bonk, trigger, array, etc.). I can tell that the signal is there because I can pass it right back to the dac~, out of Prototype and into the VCV scope. I have also opened the pd example patch “gain.pd” and tried to substitute a slider or even just a number for the knob connection and pd just passes the signal without applying the gain value. In short I can’t figure out how to process VCV audio within pd. I am probably missing something obvious (again just learning pd), and would appreciate any help someone could offer. Thank you.

VCV Rack 1.1.6, Prototype 1.3.0 Pd 0.51.1, Mac OS 10.14

2 Likes

I realise this is an old post, but did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same problem. I have a granular patch which works fine with the standalone Pd application (I’m on Windows 10), but when I load it into Prototype it’s not processing the sound. I get the sound in and out of the module, but like you said it seems to bypass the Pd script. Looking at the examples, you just add number to adc/dac to use the six outputs in the module, eg:

adc~ 1 2

dac~ 1 2 3 4 5 6

Etc. I’m wondering what “r fromRack” does exactly, and if you need it in audio processing patches?

Anyway, would be good to get an update and see how far you got.

Cheers!

Ed

OK ignore previous post, I got a basic patch working and didn’t have to do anything special. Just use adc~ and dac~ as usual. I think the problem with the patch I was trying to run is that it had two parts, with one Pd file calling the other one. Maybe that’s not supported, I have no idea. Basic audio processing works anyway, not sure what your issue is/was.

Ed