PS-PurrSoftware Plugin Modules

How is this a “threat”? it’s literally what has happened (and continues to happen) countless of times.

It would be good if there where some clear guidelines for people on how to develop their modules and how to deal with these assets. I’m sure you agree that it is not good that people distribute illegal materials to the VCV library and other users?

It’s fairly new that microsoft is into open source. What are you talking about man?

“it’s ok to do illegal stuff, as long as nobody sues you” << this kind of sentiment is exactly what’s wrong with a large part of this community.

Neither?

What I’m talking about is module devs not looking out for copyright infringement. In many cases of course yes it’s very benign and not on purpose. But it’s infringement none the less.

Sorry I did not want to go on a tangent and take over your topic. It’s just a general observation that in many many cases people either don’t know or don’t care about any of this, and that’s quite sad for such public projects in my personal opinion. In some cases people even get hostile, claiming that it doesn’t matter as long as your project is non-commercial. Which is total BS of course, this is not how copyright works at all.

In the mean time I’m having a lot of fun playing with Meander! I think it looks great, especially the dark panel :wink:

can happen to the best and kudos for swiftly reacting to sort that out

2 Likes

are your apologizing to us? after all we owe you?? :slight_smile: you found a mistake made by someone else and you fixed it, that it :slight_smile: I am not sure I ever thank you for this incredible module that you brought to us for free and keeps getting always better! it feels like the work of a live time of knolwedge, experience and creativity in a single module! thanks a million! I am sure I am not alone to think this way! Cheers :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I really enjoyed @Omri_Cohen 's Glass Pane tutorial. I also liked the music he created in the patch. So, here is my variation on a theme, with Meander controlling the quantizers by outputting a pentatonic scale in Dorian D, as well as contributing drone root, drone “I” chord, melody arpeggiation and bass.

Omri Glass-Pane w Meander-1.vcv (12.3 KB)

3 Likes

The astute observer will note that Meander is putting out a tetratonic scale for D Dorian rather than pentatonic. Other modes and roots seem to be working correctly.

Note, I am still developing, contrary to what I said in the heat of the moment a couple of days ago. :wink: Moving forward!

11 Likes

I found my pentatonic scale output problem in Meander and have it working properly, but I will need to wait a few days since I already have an update enqueued for the library build. I’m not sure anyone has used the pentatonic output, but I think the fixed scales will lead to fun.

1 Like

If it’s ready, submit it. I haven’t had time to review the current queue. Will do tomorrow.

Thanks, but I want to do more testing before submitting it. Please go ahead and build the current enqued version. Since no one has ever mentioned this pentatonic bug, it is a non-critical update.

1 Like

PurrSoftware Meander V2.0.18 is now in the library. There are two major changes in this version

1. A font was removed from the repository and from use within Meander.
  2. The pentatonic scale output menu option was fixed so that the pentatonic scale is correctly produced for all 84 mode and root combinations.

The best way to play with these pentatonic scales is to select the Meander menu option “Scale Out Mode: Pentatonic Chromatic-12ch” and connect the Meander “Poly Ext Scale” output to Grande Quant “Scale” input, but leave the Quant Root input unconnected. The Quant will then track any mode and root in Meander but with a pentatonic scale subset of notes, following common practice for major and minor scales, which all modes are, even if not an explicity Ionian (natural major) or Aeolian (natural minor) mode.

Likewise, you can send the pentatonic scales out as a 5 channel scale via the Meander “Scale Out Mode: Pentatonic-5ch” menu option. This scale output can then be SPLIT into the 5 channels and you can run each channel to a sequential switch, for example, in order to do pentatonic melodic scale runs that are compatible with the current Meander mode and root diatonic/heptatonic scale.

9 Likes

The Meander manual is now updated to V2.0.18, including documentation on the “Poly External Scale” options menu choices, including pentatonic scales and how they are formed by Meander:

“For major scales, remove the 4th and 7th interval scale notes. In Meander these are the Lydian, Ionian and Mixolydian modes. For minor scales, remove the 2nd and 6th interval scale notes. In Meander these are the Dorian, Aeolian, Phrygian and Locrian modes.”

In honor of Vangelis’ passing, here is my tribute “Vangelis Is On First”. In the spirit of Vangelis, this piece utilizes 9 tracks using the Arturia V Collection CS-80 software synth via HOST. The piece is generatively composed and performed by my Meander module in Dorian D, where the chord progression stays on “I” or Dm in this case.

14 Likes

Beautiful, impressive, moving.

1 Like

Question about Meander: when I start up the patch, the module steps through the progression automatically. When I press the “STEP” button, I can trigger a step manually. How do I get back to the automatic steps after I pressed “STEP”?

Re-enable the Harmony Chords Enable button. When you click on STEP, automatic progression is disabled. There are several such things that may disable auto chord progression.

1 Like

Here is my latest music composed and performed by Meander. This is a 12 bar blues piece in Cmaj. 10 instances of SquinkyLabs Organ Three’s are used. There is a lot going on including sequencing sequencers and OCT modules. There is also quite a lot of pentatonic scale runs via the Meander Poly Ext Scale set to 5 channel pentatonic format.

3 Likes

As I mentioned in another thread, I am currently seeing if I can add the ability for the user to save the “custom” harmonic progression preset in Meander. Meander already has the ability to edit the custom preset, but does not have the ability to save the preset.

If successful, you will be able to create a custom progression made up of from 1 to 16 steps/bars . This data will be save in the patch file as JSON data.

I have this mostly working, but it will probably take me a few days to finish and test it thoroughly.

3 Likes

PS PurrSoftware Meander V2.0.20 has been submitted to the library review and build queue. This version is all about giving the user the ability to create their own custom 1-16 bar/step harmonic progression preset which is saved in the patch file via JSON data at the Meander module instance level. The entire edit workflow was redone to make things work much more intuitively with dynamic WYSIWYG GUI updates. The basics are covered in the “change document” at:

https://github.com/knchaffin/Meander/blob/master-V2/CHANGELOG.md

These changes should not affect any existing Meander patches. I have tested thoroughly with my many Meander patches, including multi-instanced Meander patches. Each Meander instance can have its own custom progression which is saved with the patch.

Be careful, once the custom progression has been edited, it will be lost if you turn the “Progression Presets” knob to another preset. Make sure to save your patch after editing the “#4: Custom” preset. If you inadvertently turn the knob and reset the custom progression, you can immediately reload the patch to restore the custom preset data, assuming you have saved the patch after edits.

If this is your first attempt at editing a progression, understand that you must disable the “RUN” button before editing and then after editing re-enable both “RUN” and “Harmony Chords Enable” buttons.

The manual will be updated accordingly in the coming days.

7 Likes