PS-PurrSoftware Plugin Modules

Are you processing/storing the notes as MIDI at any stage?

Just wondering if you could use your Meander scoring work to create some kind of a ‘note scope’ module where you feed in clock, cv and gate and have a rolling display of the last few bars. Would be useful to monitor what’s happening with slowly evolving progressions.

Though I guess the same could be obtained in most DAWs by outputing the notes to a track. I know Reaper and a few others create scores on the fly.

To me that red is a little dark. Maybe somewhere in between old and new for red?

For colours, can I suggest looking at some palettes that consider people with colour blindness? E.g.

Yeah, that seems to be due to the difference in our visual sensitivity to blue and red. I’ll see what I can do.

Yes, internally Meander uses MIDI notes since the original 1988 version was a MIDI app. I flirt with creating a notation module. There is a lot of complexity to doing such. Meander only uses the MIDI note notation internally, no other MIDI messages of any type.

Do any existing modules consider colorblindness?

I don’t know. I don’t have colour blindness myself. I do remember it being discussed previously. When I need to pick a set of colours, I try to keep it in mind. For example, the combination of particular shades of red and green is a common colour blindness issue, and causes real problems with traffic lights for some people. It’s just a suggestion. I thought looking at some selected colour palettes that take it into consideration might make it easier to pick colours for a module.

I’ve gotten overwhelmed every time I look at ADA requirements. I know this is important, but there are so many different conditions to consider. It is hard to imagine this working unless there were menu selections for several conditions.

Makes me appreciate more the work the pro visual designers do. Your latest colours look fine to me. Just another thought, could the colours be put into the module settings file, with no UI, so someone could use a text editor to change them, like the way cable colours are handled?

I don’t know. I would have to think about it.

Done.

1 Like

Here is the final form. I brightened the red just a bit and I changed the draw order so notes always draw on top of staff lines AND ledger lines. This also includes the new expanded score panel drawing area. As you can see, it is still possible to have renders run outside of the score area, but I am going to leave these as-are since they are extreme boundary cases and I would rather render those extremes rather than cull them out. It only took changes to 4 lines of code to move the Bass and fBm control sub-panels down a bit :grinning:

10 Likes

V2.0.17 with all these enhancements has been submitted for review and build for the library.

2 Likes

I’m curious as to why you asked about MIDI in this question. You are interested in scoring a 1v/oct CV sequence, right? Deep in Meander, MIDI notes are used in the algorithmic composition engine, but, otherwise everything is in CV format. What role did you imagine MIDI playing?

I’m not sure if I will do anything along these lines, but I’m just toying with the idea of how difficult it would be to add a CV and gate input jack to Meander in unused space below the bass clef staff and if such was connected, render the 1V/oct note and gate stream. My original Meander for Windows has this ability over true MIDI.

I was thinking out loud and hadn’t completed my thought :slight_smile:

I have built a hardware modular that’s pretty much analogue based - oscillators, filters, vca’s, envelopes and a few useful things like clocking - and mainly feed it the notes and gates from VCV Rack and I have a module called Mutant Brain which can translate MIDI returned from VCV into CV and gates. So when I have been passing output from the VCV version of something like a Turing machine even though it is coming out with CV and gates I have been sending it to my modular as MIDI as I only have a precious few Expert Sleeper CV outputs and I save those for things like complex LFOs.

Anyway, TLDR - suffice it to say it doesn’t need to be MIDI, just some way of viewing the notes that the Turing machine is pumping out each couple of bars would be really useful. As I later said, I can sort of do this in the DAW if I send the notes as MIDI to a track and use the MIDI editor in score view like you can in Reaper or Studio One.

1 Like

I will be submitting a new version (V2.0.18) to the library build queue today. A GitHub member questioned the licensing on a font I have used, seemingly forever, so I deleted that font from the repository and used another open license font I use instead.

3 Likes

It’s quite typical to see that a lot of VCV module projects copy random files from their computer and think there is no copyright on it. Thnx for updating your project to remove these!

But see, that’s the problem. You copied it from another project thinking it was ok. This is not how due diligence works though. I think the font’s licensing (once you find it) is very clear, but because it was originally copied without this license attached this wasn’t clear for you.

It is therefore better to only use assets with explicit and clear licensing. And never assume that just because someone else decided to copy something into their project it’s automatically ok for you to use it as well.

And this is my problem with a lot of projects in VCV community: people will just randomly copy files back and forth, either from their computer, something they found online or from other projects, without actually checking the distribution licensing. More often than not people did not do their research and make both VCV and its users liable for any breach of copyright.

My apologies if you feel attacked in any way. I understand that you didn’t know. Please don’t overreact like this …

That’s a real shame, “don’t let the b’strds grind you down”.