Portamento Legato?

Hi,

i need a glide only when two notes are overlapping in MIDI.
Is there a simple way to achieve that without enveloppe retrig ?
I could use a slew module but how to active it only when 2 notes are pressed ?

Thanks you in advance !!

PS: sorry for the doublon topic (i posted in the wrong category)

You are probably going to need to wait until v1.0 of Rack for polyphonic capabilities to do a true legato slide… as currently Midi is monophonic so you cannot send two overlapping notes via midi.

The way I do slides, in monophonic, is to use gates to trigger a slew or use a sequencer such as the Impromptu ones to generate slides.

OK it’s not very convenient but i will try like that.
Thanks for your answer anyway !

I don’t have the answer but the standard “midi 4” module gives you 4 notes input, so you can detect if you have two simultaneous gates and then trigger your slew limiter somehow.

1 Like

Yes thanks !
I just saw it (i’m new on VCV…)

In case you were still searching for this, i found a solution for this. I have 1 midi-cv module which controls my monosynth. I added a second midi-cv module, which receives the same midi information. I made this one polyphonic, and sent the gates to the split module. This way you get two separate outputs when notes overlap.

You can use a logic module to send different signals when there is 1 gate and when there are 2. These trigger a sequential switch. Output 1 of the sequential switch allows the original CV to output towards the VCA, output 2 let’s the VC pass through a slew limiter first.

I’m pretty sure someone with more experience will be able to solve this in a simpler patch, but I was quite pleased with the new glide function on my Lil Erebus…

1 Like

Thanks you

Any news about the topic? I use an Arturia Keystep 37 connected to the pc via USB and when pitch bending or trying to use portamento / legato I don’t get a smooth glide, but a stepped frequency change. This happens using VCV Rack 2 Pro in my DAW but also in the standalone software. Do I need to adjust any settings for a higher update frequency for the pitch CV or could there be some other issue or incompatibility with the keyboard controller? It did work smoothly on other synth vsts though, so my guess is it is somehow connected to VCV Rack or polyphony settings or some interaction with it and other software or MIDI specifics.

Any sort of hint very much appreciated,

Cheers

Maybe I’m wrong, but your post suggests something different than mentioned in the original post, possibly you are using a quantiser? If you quantise CV, even with pitch bend added, you get quantised CV back out.

My bad, no issues with pitch bending using VCV just itself, but sending MIDI out to an Expert Sleepers FH-2, CV outs into Eurorack synth modules and audio back into VCV Rack. Plugging the USB cable of the Arturia Keystep into the FH-2 unit works with a smooth glide or pitch bend. But if the midi signal goes through VCV Rack, the pitch CV seems to not be updated quick enough. I am not using any quantizing modules. I tried both adding V/Oct and PW from the Midi In Module in VCV Rack in a CV mixer module before sending the mix into V/Oct of the Midi Out module, as well as connecting PW to PW directly - same result, a stepped instead of a smooth glide.

Problem Solved! Just found out that the problem was caused by the stock MIDI TO CV and CV TO MIDI modules. The problem doesn´t exist with the MTS-ESP equivalents from ODDSOUND -smooooth glides and pitchbends :smiley:

1 Like

Glad you found a way.