polyphony not working

Hey. I may be missing something really simple, but connecting the V/Oct from the VCV Midi-CV panel into a polyphonic oscillator does not produce a thick cable.

Could this be as I am currently only using the qwerty keyboard and I may need a polyphonic input device.

Weird cos I used to jam out polyphony on my keyboard in Ableton.

Any ideas?

Right-click on the MIDI-CV panel and choose the number of channels you want.

1 Like

Thanks

Is there an FAQ or section of the manual on the basics of polyphony? It is clearly puzzling to people who are new to polyphony in VCV.

https://vcvrack.com/manual/Polyphony

There’s this, though I’m pretty sure I learned about it from an Omri Cohen video.

1 Like

VCV is puzzling in many ways, and I guess that stems largely from so many developers each doing their own thing. Lots of great pros, but one large con is a lack of consistency in documentation/manuals or a lack of manuals altogether. (Another con is inconsistent design principles.)

A wiki would be a good thing, so would more info in context menus/tooltips. How about an in-app tutorial?

I would love some lists of which modules do what. “Which filters self-osciallate? I guess I will have to test each one to find out. Oh wait, there are hundreds of filters…” I realize this is the result of lots of hard work and enthusiasm from the devs. That’s great and appreciated. But it would lower the bar to entry for users if part of the dev process required completing spec sheets or creating full wiki articles. Maybe that would raise the bar to entry for devs…

Omri’s videos are great, as are many others, but you can’t look something up in a video (yet).

1 Like

Well, please don’t forget that VCV is still mostly free
and done by enthusiast developers,
so there are different levels of manuals and quality of the manuals,
but imho it is only fair that users invest a bit too, to learn and understand VCV.

Sure it was much easier about 2 or 3 years ago, when there were “only” some hundred modules. But still you can choose which modules you use/download.

I’m really thankfull for everyone who contributes to the library.

1 Like

Well, all good stuff here. It’s true it’s not really possible to have detailed specs on all modules (although I can understand the desired, and don’t take any offense). But I think there either is or could be a one page “intro to poly” and we could send everyone there who is going through this same teething process.

VCV is a single company that makes consistent, easy to learn modules with good manuals (Spectra for example). I assume you are talking about third-party modules, and specifically free modules. If you want to improve free module manuals, I would recommend asking the developer if they would write manuals for an agreed payment. If you want to improve commercial module modules, send an email to the developer saying that you would purchase their module if it had a better manual. Until then, I would only recommend using VCV modules if you don’t like the inconsistency of third-party modules.

2 Likes

rsmus7

it is only fair that users invest a bit too, to learn and understand VCV.

I agree. My point was this is made difficult by a lack of doc standards, and mentioned some ideas to start a convo. I have seen a post from a few years ago about starting a wiki, but I guess that did not happen. Is it an idea you think has merit?

still you can choose which modules you use/download.

Technically this is correct, but if you want to share patches you really need all the free ones (or at least it is impractical to know in advance).

Vortico VCV - Andrew

I would only recommend using VCV modules if you don’t like the inconsistency of third-party modules.

I find myself using the VCV core modules quite often.

I do think Rack needs a good wiki, to capture permanent knowledge, not for discussing. I see it all the time, at work also throughout the years. We have great software, like Discourse and Jira, for discussing and working out issues, but these are lousy for capturing permanent, worked out knowledge, because things are fragmented. For capturing knowledge and documenting it well, a wiki is the ideal format IMHO. The tricky part is always the question of who should be able to write in it, because let’s face it - not everyone writes well. But untill then we have the VCV Rack manual, and I think Andrew still takes pull requests for it.

I am a new VCV-User and I actually don’t like the idea of a wiki. Maintenance and writing documentation is what takes up so much valuable time, that I think that would reduce the time devs could spend on developing new modules and users could spend on making music. I have not found a module I did not get to work. If there is no documentation I will search the forum and Youtube and I always found an explanation. Searching Omris Channel for Polyphony alone resulted in at least three useful videos.

I think if the Library could be extended with a feature for a direct forum link to the modules of the developer where you could ask questions or read through the other questions that could help. And maybe a bullet-point for direct links to youtube-videos where the module is featured.

Just my 2c

• mo
3 Likes

the idea of making it harder for devs to release modules by requiring they do more work writing docs is not a good one. If you don’t want to figure out an undocumented free module, just don’t download it, easy-peasy.

1 Like

I agree. Devs should not be discouraged especially when they are doing open source, free stuff. That’s why I liked the wiki idea best, but it does need widespread support/interest so if it’s just me and a few others then I guess it won’t get off the ground. Which is fine.

Good point.

I like these ideas.

IMHO, a wiki is a great idea, especially for newcomers. Having everything in one place makes learning a lot easier, as they do not have to hunt in every nook and cranny for the information they need. Additionally, a wiki would be a way for non-developers, such as myself, to constructively contribute to the community. I can’t make modules (although I am maybe interested in learning how to), but I sure could write an article talking about types of filters or how to modulate parameters of an oscillator, etc. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some other users who feel this way.

I agree that the devs shouldn’t have to be worrying about the wiki, but for the users who have the time to work on a wiki and want to, why shouldn’t they? :slight_smile: If you want to, then do it. If you don’t, then don’t.

Great point there

Also great point

2 Likes

This is exactly how I feel. In fact, I decided yesterday to start something on github. I was going to collect info anyway for my own use, might as well share…

1 Like

Guess I need to get a GitHub account now :smile:

1 Like